Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rheem furnace RGAA-08EC

rbrock
rbrock Member Posts: 1
Trying to pin point problem on this older furnace..If the pilot light is not lit and I adjust the temperature up above room temp at thermostat the igniter lights the pilot and then burners light blower works everything works as it should..but when the temperature reaches whats being called for at thermostat and burners shut down the pilot stays lit and when the temperature inside house falls below thermostat setting the burners wont relight ...Unless I blow out the pilot..then it ignites the pilot and inturn lights the burners....So am I safe to assume that the pilot is not suppose to stay lit after burners light ? and most importantly what controls the pilot?

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    If it is a spark pilot, the spark control module controls everything. When the thermostat drops the call for heat, the module (board, whatever) should shut down the main gas flow and the pilot gas flow. Sounds like the relay for the pilot valve is sticking or less likely, there's a problem in the gas valve. For a relic, I'd want a good tech to see what the problem is and fix it, or since it will be a pricey fix, consider something more throwing money into a 60% old beast.