Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old boiler issues

2»

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    If I recall correctly that rusty cross is attached to the boiler with a flange similar to the flange on that rotten old circulator. This is a component made specifically for Valiant. It can be assembled using off the shelf fittings. One side of the cross has the pump on it and the other side has a boiler drain. Unfortunately there are number of thing that need to be addressed on order to determine if the boiler will hold water and pressure. I would start with replacing the pump gaskets, there are two one on top of the pump and one on the bottom of the pump. Again if I recall there is also a circulator gasket between the boiler and that rusty cross. Those bolts will likely break. The boiler drain will need to be replaced. The pressure relief valve will also likely need to be replaced as will the Pressure regulator valve PRV. These will allow one to see if the boiler will hold water and pressure. Than the thing needs some service love. Nozzle filter strainer and a good cleaning. Than that fuel line needs to be addressed.
    Those where pretty good boilers in their day. There's a good long day there but I bet there is light at the end of that tunnel. These are the things I would be telling the LL from a service stand point. From the renters stand point? The other option is to bale on the place and let the LL deal with it. Good luck
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    Dcboyd
  • Dcboyd
    Dcboyd Member Posts: 25
    @Grallert thanks so much you have been a great help. I know it would be the landlords job to make sure it's fixed but me tenant is only doing it because I have two kids and I can't afford to keep taking off of work, So i'm doing all that I can to do whatever I can so that we can stay and this house. But if there was another place better in a safe neighborhood i would definitely be moving QUICK!!!!
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    @Dcboyd good luck to you. Sounds like being between a rock and a hard place. I hope you get this figured out soon. @Grallert gave you the best step by step to start up this old boiler. I hope it's still keeping water and can be pressurised and then, fired up.
    Dcboyd
  • If the landlord is unable to afford the repair, then can she afford to have an empty house with nonfunctional heating, and frozen pipes?--NBC
    Dcboyd
  • Dcboyd
    Dcboyd Member Posts: 25
    @MilanD yes he did and i'm hoping my issue can be solved sooner rather than later. Wish me luck
    MilanD