Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with Installer setup for R7248

Patrick100
Patrick100 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in Oil Heating
I'm replacing a Honeywell R8184G oil primary with a new Honeywell R7248. The old oil primary is an older, hook it up and let 'er rip type unit. I'm not sure what I'm doing with setting up this newer unit, especially with regard to the "installer setup". I can't find and explanation basic settings for this anywhere. I have a Beckett AFG oil burner with intermittent ignition.
I need help with settings for:
1. Valve on delay (I don't have a valve, so I guess I don't mess with this?)
2. Ignition time
3. Burner off delay
4. TT configured on (I'm assuming "yes" since I have the thermostat wired to this unit just like the old one?)
5. Spark during run (I'm assuming "yes", since it's intermittent ignition)
6. Allowed resets

It's disappointing that I can't find an explanation of these settings anywhere.
Anyway, help would be appreciated.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    They come with instructions and various install scenarios. It is a good idea to get rid of the 3 wire cad cell relay
  • Patrick100
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I've got the not so clear manual. It show scenarios, but it doesn't appear to show mine. As far as the cad cell; it's a two wire cad cell...or are you referring to the R8184 unit?

• Patrick100
    Solved my own problem by piecing together bits from other places.

“Installer Setup” settings on the R7284 display
    1. Language— Eng
    2. Valve on Delay— 0:00
    3. Ignition Time—15
    4. Burner Off Delay—0
    5. TT Configured On—No
    6. Spark In On Delay-- No
    7. Spark During Run—No (because the ignition is wired to the motor, not the “spark” connector.
    8. Allowed Resets—No Limit
    9. Appliance Type—Furn
    10. Show Diagnostics-- Yes

*also, both "limit" and "motor" are wired together, as per the manual for the R7284.
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    I would put the ignitor on its designated connector. This way you can take advantage of the interrupted ignitor circuit. This may save some wear on the ignitor and the electrodes.

Leave "spark during run" off.
  • Patrick100
    I bought a new ignitor; turned out that was my problem all along. The manual actually says for an intermittent ignition, you should wire it to the motor. When I finally got my new ignitor, I installed it as you said only because I didn't want to clip the spade connectors off. My question to you is, what is the advantage of using the interrupted circuit and what setting do I use for it? I'm assuming that shuts off the ignition after 15 seconds or so, rather than letting run the whole time the motor does?
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    Interrupted ignition de-energizes the ignitor after the trial for ignition period. This results in less wear and tear on the ignitor and electrodes because there isn't a constant spark when the burner runs, as there is with intermittent ignition.

I would set it up with 15 sec valve on delay, 15 second trial for ignition, and 30 second burner off delay.