Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Enclosed Trailer

upstateben
upstateben Member Posts: 33
Hello, I just picked up a 6x10 used enclosed trailer. Its a little smaller that I wanted but the price was too good to resist. Anyway, I want to use it on installs/larger jobs. It has ladder racks on the roof so I was planning on getting a couple of the 6 inch pvc storage tubes for storing pipe. Before I start building anything inside, I am just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice of setting them up to store material/larger tools that you normally wouldn't carry in your service vehicle.
Thanks.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have used 1 ton vans for 35+ years. I have always build a raised floor with 2 x 6 compartments covered with 3/4" plywood.
    I have seen the 6" tubes up with the ladder racks and it always looked top heavy.....even for a trailer...and a long reach for access.

IIWM I would go for the tubes on the floor on either side with shelving above each. Maybe you need more floor room for big items though.

For my present and probably last van I built only one pipe compartment. I wanted the head room and figured why carry more pipe than I could install in one day.
    upstateben
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I like trailers myself. Tow it to the job, lock um up and leave them. As far as the tubes go the ones I have used always get water in them and rust the hell out of the contents. I had threaded rod in one and ended up tossing it all. maybe you will have better results
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    The thing I hate about small enclosed trailers. Hard on the head......throw a six inch false floor in it wear a hard hat.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Here is what I used on my pipe carrying PVC. It is even lockable.

Put one on both ends as the shorts slide to the front all the time.

I also had a couple 8" PVC tubes to put my B tanks on the outside of the utility boxes.

American Van is a good source for one handed ladder racks and all sorts of van and truck gizmos.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • upstateben
    upstateben Member Posts: 33
    @JUGHNE I like the idea of building the shelving on top of boxes on the floor. That seems like a lot easier to access. @hot rod thanks for leading me to american van. There is all sorts of things that I can see myself wanting (whether the budget will allow it is another story). I think i will use your idea for b tank storage. That seems like a convenient and safe way to keep them in place. I will post some picks once I finally get around to outfiting it. Thanks
  • hot_rod
    edited January 2017
    Now if money is no object, I found this company that offers some unique van products. I bought some rail mounting clips from them when I had a sprinter.
    http://www.sortimo.com

I met this traveling salesman at a show and he had his van all tricked out with Sortimo interior stuff to demonstrate his hold down clamp products.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I use the same tube ends as @hot rod posted. Very happy with it. Never had a water problem and my van stays outside. Have had job site trailers broken into (with bolt cutters to the padlock) so I'm cautious about where it's left.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    I have had the same PVC hinged caps on 3 trucks now, 20 some years old. The road salt does corrode them and bind the hinges, keep squirting the WD 40 on them in winter. They are gasketed for a water tight seal.

Here is a piece of 8" PVC for the B tank. The hose wraps around to keep it from wobbling. I had a longer one with a cap on the outside of the truck bed.

I found short pieces at the wholesaler where some lengths had dropped and cracked in handling.

Luckily theft wasn't a problem in our area, the trucks often had keys in the ignition.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    upstateben
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    In this day, and age with cordless grinders most security methods only keep the honest people out.
    Solid_Fuel_Manupstateben