Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion Tank Replacement

Options
dooododoo
dooododoo Member Posts: 25
edited January 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
I went out and got an exact replacement expansion tank for my system, an Amtrol 109. When I opened the box, there was a fill valve attached. It is my understanding that it is used in conjunction with an air scoop and air vent. My existing exp tank does not have it. Do I need to go get another type of exp tank? Or can I use the new one with the fill valve removed? When I do remove it, there is a fill-gate-stem/pressure-plate. Is that possible to remove and use this tank as a normal exp tank?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    I would say unscrew it and install the new one
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    You could have just bought the extrol 15 and saved some money. That tank is designed as a combination fill valve and expansion tank. But since you are not using the fill valve portion, it is just a waste of money to have it.
    But, it will work just as an ordinary expansion tank.
    Rick
    dooododoo
  • dooododoo
    Options

You could have just bought the extrol 15 and saved some money. That tank is designed as a combination fill valve and expansion tank. But since you are not using the fill valve portion, it is just a waste of money to have it.
    But, it will work just as an ordinary expansion tank.
    Rick

I'm just gonna go get the Amitrol #15 as you mentioned.

In regards to the Filtrol, if I remove the fill valve, there is still that thing inside of the nipple.

Curious, IF I were to use the Filtrol as a regular tank, do I leave that thing in there?
  • dooododoo
    Options
    I guess I'll see how the HVAC guy installed the existing Filtrol tank when I take it out.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    You could leave it in if you were going to use it. It is hooked to the bladder, and when the air pressure inside has no water pressure against it, it will be pushed out. Then if it still had the filtrol valve hooked on to it, that piece sticking out would push on a water valve inside the filtrol valve and let water in to the boiler. As the water pressure in the tank/system builds up, the bladder moves back in and pulls that valve stem back in, thus turning off the water. But, it will not affect what you need to do if you were to keep it.
    Rick
    dooododoo
  • dooododoo
    Options
    Yup, that's how the existing one was too.