Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil furnace only staying on after 5-7 resets

Options
jealoui
jealoui Member Posts: 2
Furnace will only stay on after 5-7 resets. After the heat has been off for hours the heater safety reset button is triggered when starting up. It fires up- I see the fire and then after 1 minute it triggers the safety. While troubleshooting and bleeding the line (I had an oil delivery the DAY this started and thought that was the issue- worked perfectly before) I realized if I reset the button 5-7 times in a row it starts and stays on no problem. I noticed if the furnace shuts off for a couple minutes it can be quickly restarted but if off for hours- going to trigger the safety reset.

This is a Beckett furnace with Honeywell written on the switch. Thanks.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Could be a few things:
    1. It's losing it's prime. This can either be from improper bleeding or a problem with the fuel pump. Needs to be checked with pressure/vacuum gauge.
    2. You said you just received an oil delivery. The delivery could've stirred up some stuff in the tank that's blocking the fuel line.
    You really shouldnt press the reset button at all. As you can see it won't fix your problem, and you're lucky it lit off instead of pumping unburnt oil into the chamber.
    Please call in a pro

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jealoui
    jealoui Member Posts: 2
    Options
    yes - thanks. I have a pro coming on Friday.
    It's 20 degrees and resetting does make it work as long as the unit stays on. Took the house from 48 to 70 yesterday as normal. I thought as long as the fire comes on right away as normal I wasn't pumping unburnt oil into the chamber? I shut it off at night and when I'm not here but I would like to keep my house above freezing until Friday. Was hoping because it fired up right away I had a sensor issue and could do something to keep safe until Friday.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Friday? That's not good.
    In theory you're right, but think of it this way.
    There's something wrong that is locking out your burner on safety. Just because it fires doesn't mean it's working correctly.
    Say it's the primary failing. What happens after you reset it and the opposite happens, it won't shut off. That would be bad.
    Unless you're in some far away remote place, waiting 6 days for service would be unacceptable to me.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    I agree with@STEVEusaPA,

You should not reset this more than 1 time before you call for service.

Please try and get someone there before Friday. It could well be a cad cell or primary control issue.

Either way it needs to be looked at asap
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    I work for a small oil Company with 24 hour service (our Customers) if they have to wait 2 hours they are upset
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    But if it lights runs (fire proven) then goes off 45 sec later it is Cad cell related either Ohm over 1500 or relay is bad
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    Continuing to hit the reset is eventually going to fill the chamber with unburned fuel. When that fuel finally ignites it can be very dangerous, not to mention destructive to the firebox. You mustn't do it.

You need service. Where are you located?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com