Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless Ti-80, F09 code and water coming out of the sensor port

Options
kanecats
kanecats Member Posts: 15
Hi folks-when I remove the flame sensor from the combustion chamber, water keeps seeping out of the triangular hole the sensor fits in. Any ideas on why? I am thinking it should be dry and I have a possible leak in my coil? Your thoughts would be awesome!

Comments

• kanecats
    Options
    Ugh...ok just read it could either be a clogged condensate (easy) just a cleaning, or the exchanger :( Fingers crossed it isn't bad news...
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If the condensate drain or the bottom of the heat exchanger is plugged the chamber will fill with cond water.
    That might have the rubber drain tube under it, if you squeeze it several times (milking action....who knows how to do that anymore :'( ) You may break up the plug and pass the water.

If you get those to pass water to drain the chamber it might fire.
    The insulation around the opening for the flame sensor may still be wet enough to throw the code again. It had been recommended to carve a little of that away so it does not come in contact with the FS probe.

Does the pressure gauge show pressure with the water supply shut off?? If not then your boiler water is going somewhere.

Has the boiler ever been opened and cleaned?
  • kanecats
    Options
    I suspect the condensate. I used a little forced air last night and the thing is firing and staying on. I needed hot water for showers, so I figure I will take it apart this weekend and do a thorough cleaning. Hoping I can buy some time and take my time considering a new boiler option. The boiler was cleaned 2 years ago. The plan was to do another cleaning this spring, but it may need it more often.

Thanks for your input! I believe a couple screws around the gas valve and the boiler cover plate, and the whole thing comes right out. Hoping the screws and bolts are not seized like the sensor screws were, which were totally stripped out and a nightmare to remove! Ahhh...such fun!!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    You should download the install and operation manual if you don't have one.
    If you have an old credit card to slip between the coil tubes to cut crud out that helps a lot. I cut small teeth in my cleaning card to saw out stuff. There are support rods evenly spaced on the outside of the coil that you can not see. You can feel them with the card. So if you hit something solid it may be them.

The back target wall insulation disc is often ruined by this much water standing inside. I usually remove them for water cleaning so as not to damage it. Clean or replace the flame sensor and spark plug.

You should have someone with a combustion analyzer check the operation after you get it cleaned. If no issues I would keep this boiler in use. It is good to shop proactively though.
    What you have I believe is a water tube boiler. Fire tube boilers are thought to be a better choice today by many.
  • kanecats
    Options
    It is basically a Munchkin boiler from 2005. I put the flame sensor in about 2 weeks ago new. Thanks for the tip on the back target wall insulation disk. Is that generally screwed or bolted on? I may need to do an initial cleaning and assess for any items needing replacement. A second cleaning and replacement of parts may be necessary. I have some Rydlime on order also, as it may do a better job than the clr I have right now...