Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone have any experience with Lunos products for HRV?

jb9
jb9 Member Posts: 104
Hi there,

I am considering using this paired system from Germany called Lunos. The unit appears to use a ceramic core to capture heat (I'm still investigating so my apologies if I don't fully grasp it).

Thanks.

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Have you looked into Life Breath?
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I've seen carpenters use them as an after thought, and in that scenario they can work. The fans are noisy so the customers may not like them but it's "sometimes" better than ripping down a ceiling and doing a full air to air install. Of course given the choice install the air to air from the beginning and have a happy customer.

Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    I am not familiar with a ceramic core, but the ones I have had experience with used a metal heat exchanger, a hygroscopic paper core or a dessicant wheel. All work the same way, moving heat from the incoming air into the outgoing air and vice-versa. HEAT recovery ventilators recover only sensible heat, and must be mounted in a conditioned space, and be provided with a drain for condensate and water from the de-frost cycle. They tend to dry a space. ENERGY recovery units recover both sensible and latent heat, and tend to balance humidity. Care needs to be taken as to where you put the outside air intake. Avoid all furnace/boiler or dryer exhausts, car ports and garbage cans or pet areas. Mount discharges high on the wall so the unit doesn't blow on occupants. These things are about 80% efficient, and on very cold days, the air can be chilly. They can stand alone or be ducted into any existing system and controlled by a timer, manual switch, humidistat or certain thermostats. They usually run on low speed 24/7 and are boosted to higher speeds by sensors or timed programs.
    SWEI