Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator valve packing + wicking?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
I was perusing McMaster's website and came across these.

Perhaps the PTFE one would make good packing replacement in radiator valves?

The wicking caught my attention simply because I've seen guys talk about it but could never find it anywhere.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
A.JPG 78.7K
B.JPG 61.7K

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    If you want packing material for steam valves, you need Graphite impregnated inconell wire rope.
    Garlok is the brand I generally use. For what it is worth I dont bother repacking radiator valves, unless replacement is not an option.

Only steam mains and so forth (big valves)

But in any case, you might need to get a few rope sizes to find the size that works for the application.

Get all the old packing material out, then repack with a continuous strand, or a series of strands cut just long enough to make the right size of circle to wrap the stem. Offset the joints of the circles 180 degrees apart, and jam as many as you can get in there.

For a radiator valve, or any valve with a brass gland nut, make sure the nut is not cracked before you start.
    ChrisJMilanDControlsgirl
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited December 2016

If you want packing material for steam valves, you need Graphite impregnated inconell wire rope.

Garlok is the brand I generally use. For what it is worth I dont bother repacking radiator valves, unless replacement is not an option.

Only steam mains and so forth (big valves)

But in any case, you might need to get a few rope sizes to find the size that works for the application.

Get all the old packing material out, then repack with a continuous strand, or a series of strands cut just long enough to make the right size of circle to wrap the stem. Offset the joints of the circles 180 degrees apart, and jam as many as you can get in there.

For a radiator valve, or any valve with a brass gland nut, make sure the nut is not cracked before you start.

Like this?

Curious, why is that better than PTFE for this application?
    Why do you not bother repacking radiator valves? Replacement is pretty much always an option but far from easy for most.
    C.JPG 95.8K
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356

If you want packing material for steam valves, you need Graphite impregnated inconel wire rope.

Garlock is the brand I generally use.

Had not heard of them, but they make quite a variety. Is this the one you use?

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > If you want packing material for steam valves, you need Graphite impregnated inconell wire rope.
    >
    > Garlok is the brand I generally use. For what it is worth I dont bother repacking radiator valves, unless replacement is not an option.
    >
    >
    >
    > Only steam mains and so forth (big valves)
    >
    >
    >
    > But in any case, you might need to get a few rope sizes to find the size that works for the application.
    >
    >
    >
    > Get all the old packing material out, then repack with a continuous strand, or a series of strands cut just long enough to make the right size of circle to wrap the stem. Offset the joints of the circles 180 degrees apart, and jam as many as you can get in there.
    >
    >
    >
    > For a radiator valve, or any valve with a brass gland nut, make sure the nut is not cracked before you start.
    >
    > Like this?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Curious, why is that better than PTFE for this application?
    > Why do you not bother repacking radiator valves? Replacement is pretty much always an option but far from easy for most.

Yes,
    Like that style. I use that because thats what my local gasket guru recommends. (Henig Gasket)

I dont repack smaller valves, because its a time consuming process to do right, and most of my customers would rather get a new valve for the cost of labor. Larger valves they'll pay for me to repair, and repack. Its just a cost thing.
    ChrisJ