Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett recall

Terry O
Terry O Member Posts: 67
See attached info from RW Beckett
Terry O

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2016
    Well wont that be fun to try to read the s/n down at the bottom of the tank, then more fun replacing the valve.

Unless someone has a real life example, I never understand a firomatic at the tank (especially the bottom).
    What purpose does it serve if your whole basement is on fire especially around the bottom of your tank? Will it really do anything? If the fire is going to melt the copper or any component to cause a leak, the valve closing is just a temporary aid.
    I do understand at the burner.

I would like to see a free rebuild kit or free replacement, and an allowance for labor.
    Turns out there is one..
    https://www.beckettcorp.com/support/tech-bulletins/firomatic-fusible-safety-valve/
    steve
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    It's only the 1/2" ones and I believe it is a design issue from day one, long before Beckett bought Firomatic. Beckett always stands behind their products and will again here I'm sure.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I will never use a fireomatic first in line out of a tank. Positive shut off, then fireomatic, then filter
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    no manual shut off in mass. now
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Paul, whats "no manual shut off in MA mean?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Yes Paul? As in manual, I am referring to a ball or gate valve. That is a manual positive shut off. A fireomatic is technically not a positive shut off, yet inspectors pass them with no clue. Fortunately inspectors here have been there, done that.
    ericmmff