Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A very clever Iso/ Purge valve and flange

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
I finally got my hands on one of the Calefactio Iso valves. A Canadian company designed and manufacturers this valve.

It has a swivel flange for any pump position.

Two 1/8" gauge ports. Possibly a PT plug could be inserted, if they come in 1/8" That would allow pressure and temperature access. Both a back and end connection gauge will fit.

The purge port is closed when the valve is full open.

With the handle in off position it opens the purge port to the pipe side of the ball.

Flip the handle around 180° and it open the purge port to the pump side.

I like not having the additional valve on the purge connection like some other brands. I think a low led version is also available.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
kcoppCanuckerTinmanGordy

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Wow!
    Retired and loving it.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    That would be nice not just for the purging, but to be able to easily put gauges on each side to see what the pump is doing.
    Do the holes come with plugs in them when you buy them?
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    edited December 2016
    Options

They call then ∆P flanges, smart marketing. Looks like a gauge is included. I think a set includes one with the purge port, the other without

I did see 1/8" Petes plugs at the Peterson site also. Petes plugs would be great for taking temperature and pressure readings.

http://www.calefactio.com/products/brass/

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    Those look like they could definitely be very handy for watching system performance and troubleshooting . And, they would look cool!
    It would be nice if someone made a kit that had a differential pressure gauge and piping that would easily connect between the flanges. It would sure be handy to be able to diagnose flow issues.
    When will they be available to wholesalers?
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    Options

Those look like they could definitely be very handy for watching system performance and troubleshooting . And, they would look cool!
    It would be nice if someone made a kit that had a differential pressure gauge and piping that would easily connect between the flanges. It would sure be handy to be able to diagnose flow issues.
    When will they be available to wholesalers?
    Rick

Yeah, that is why I suggested PT ports instead of gauges. It gives you the access for a differential gauge.

B&G still offers the kit, this is the one we use. Not exactly an inexpensive tool!

I think Dwyer and other gauge manufacturers have differential gauges, you would need to build the hoses and needles for PT access.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    I actually bought a differential gauge setup like that one at a garage sale for ten bucks. Only used it once to balance out an apartment building I heated, but it definitely was worth it. I think that set was worth something like $1200.00 or some other ridiculous figure. Also was able to get it about a week before I needed it. Garage sales can be good at times.
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    Options

I actually bought a differential gauge setup like that one at a garage sale for ten bucks. Only used it once to balance out an apartment building I heated, but it definitely was worth it. I think that set was worth something like $1200.00 or some other ridiculous figure. Also was able to get it about a week before I needed it. Garage sales can be good at times.
    Rick

You got the deal of a lifetime!
    We supposedly got the "special"price and it was $1300 or more.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Took about four years, but I eventually found this on eBay