Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Control for heating/cooling heat pump with radiant zones and set point air handler?

I am hoping to get some advice on what controller I should use for an Allerton redo as in, eliminating the Allerton because this is merely a one family home that wants some control over their climate situation. It is a Passive house with heating/ cooling via solar thermal and/or heat pump through a 2 coil tank. 4 radiant zones and a fan coil that kicks on when demands are high. Plus, I would like 2 way communication through mod bus or bac net. Maybe Tekmar 557? Anyone ever had a situation like this or any hits or misses I should know about?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I think the tekmar platform can handle all that logic.

Find a dealer or the local rep to help you with the component selections.

The tekmar website is one of the better for explaining control and logic for them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Are you saying there's an existing, installed Alerton DDC system? That's a fair bit of money invested by someone. Is the dealer not cooperating?
  • spd
    spd Member Posts: 23
    The builder was making a luxury passive house and accidentally invested a few tons of money in the control system. The dealer charges a huge rate to change settings. We corrected some stupid mistakes on the voltage wiring but also wrong contact connections! They, the owner, (common travesty) don't even know how to log in and adjust settings. If I could get in and master the system I could save them a lot and I would have fun. The builder is fed up and wants me to trace the wires and out in aa whole new set up.
  • SWEI
    That's really unfortunate. Where is this job located?
  • spd
    Brooklyn NY
  • SWEI
    Have you tried another Alerton dealer?
  • spd
    I am going to count that as good advice but the builder can't handle any more third party messes. I'm expecting my tekmar rep to more helpful especially since I took the class some years ago.
    Time is money unfortunately.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    spd said:

I am going to count that as good advice but the builder can't handle any more third party messes. I'm expecting my tekmar rep to more helpful especially since I took the class some years ago.

Time is money unfortunately.

The rep might be Rathe and Associates on Long Island? If you can pin him down, Don Rathe is one of the sharpest tekmar guys out there. He keeps a lot of inventory to back up dealers also.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • spd
    Yes, Rathe. Thanks for the referral. It's a pretty fun job actually, I am up for the challenge. I'll follow up on this post with updates.
  • SWEI
    There's almost always a way to do it using Tekmar, but larger and more complex systems can require integrating quite a few of their controls and modules. As long as the customer has the wall space and doesn't mind the cost, you should be able to make them happy.
  • spd
    SWEI if you need a travelling solar thermal installer let me know but If you're lucky you know Larry Napes who lives in New Mexico.
  • SWEI
    I don't recognize the name, so Larry must be up north someplace. Santa Fe or Taos perhaps?

Small town, small jobs here. Working on a new single-tank drainback system (residential) that we hope to bring to market, but that's going to take some time.
  • spd
    Cool. Val Verde I think. Awesome about the drainback, nice to 'meet' you. Jessica