Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Balancing radiant.

keyote
keyote Member Posts: 659
So as some of you know have a lochinvar 085 setup with indirect DHW and four a zone valve, per floor, per manifold, but only the top floor so far has been converted over to radiant. and that I added the cellars abandoned finn tube to open up whenever the top floor calls for heat , this was for a little ballast since I piped direct and without a buffer tank.

It seems i could do without the cellar loop as it mods down fine when only the top floor is open even at the warmest outside temperatures with 108 degree water, however i have left it on since the cellar stays a little warmer dryer this way. I have tstats on each of the return risers and the cellar return is the same temp as the top floor return so thats not an issue.The middle two floors are on an old boiler feeding the cast iron rads.

I had originally wanted to put an actuator on each of the four loops for that top floor, but zone load size became a concern, I was then worried locating a thermostat might be a problem because site conditions and two loops are one apt and two loops are the other apt. I solved the problem a bit by putting a wireless tstat with its own remote sensor in each apt that i monitor separately from an app. this taught me the two apts are almost always 2-3 degrees different. Only one apts tstat controls the zone valve for the manifold. I have been running it thus far with the manifold wide open.
My question is I wonde,r can i balance the loops to even up the temps between the two apts? Thanks for reading

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Yes.
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    Thanks
    BTW I think i was just panicking a bit about the heat seems to work fine once it warmed up as you said, though no real cold below 30ish a couple nights here in NYC yet