Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Logalux LT pin hole coil leak?

Buderic
Buderic Member Posts: 6
I have a Buderus Logano G115 boiler and Logalux LT hot water tank that were installed in 2000. Recently the boiler relief valve was leaking. The boiler was due for yearly service and my heating guy suggested the possibility that the house pressure might be leaking into the boiler thru a pin hole leak in the water tank coil while also saying it could be the relief valve or the expansion tank. The expansion tank air pressure checked out OK. He seemed liked he was in a hurry to keep his schedule so off he went. Two weeks and a little internet research on my part and I decide to see what flushing the relief valve might accomplish. What at first was a minor leak turned into a moderate leak requiring my heating guy to come back and replace the relief valve. Everything seemed good for a week until water started leaking from the threaded fitting of the expansion tank. Water just kinds of dribbles along from the threads down the side of the tank into a bin on the floor. It doesn't seem to do it every time and what is coming out evaporates after a while so no major problems at the moment except another leak. For whatever reason I haven't been able to reach my heating guy on the phone to see what he thinks. The anode has never been replaced on this system. Does this sound like house pressure is seeping into the boiler thru the water tank coil and seeking the weakest link to leak? Any other ideas? Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    No, it would be a continual leaking boiler relief valve
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    generally a coil leak wont go a week. I'm thinking you just need to tighten the tank or the leak is from a hivent located above the tank..
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Your relief valve would be leaking constantly if it was a pin hole. What does the pressure gauge read? How much air is in the extrol tank, and did he drop the boiler water pressure to zero before checking the air? Has the feed valve been turned off to troubleshoot it? Do you have an IFC circulator? Can you post pics of units and piping including the gauge?
  • Buderic
    edited December 2016
    Pressure was lowered during yearly service and never exceeds 20 when running and is about 18 not running. Does 12 lbs sound right for the expansion tank? I don't know if the boiler water pressure was set to zero and the feed valve wasn't turned off to troubleshoot. I will gladly post up pics. I'm not sure about an IFC circulator but will check. I'm sorry to say I don't know bupkis about my heating system but would like to become more informed. p.s. I'm not home at the moment...pics will be posted tomorrow.
  • Buderic
    Trying to figure out if I need a host or if I can upload pics as attachments. Also, I don't see a 'reply' button associated with the posts. Is it possible some forum options are unavailable to me due to I'm accessing the site from work?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Should not matter. You should be able to attach pics no problem
  • Buderic
  • Buderic
    edited December 2016
  • Buderic
    Expansion tank and leak area.