Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil, gas or on-demand?

Peterm_2
Peterm_2 Member Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Domestic Hot Water
Dear all,

Situation: I have a ca. 15 to 18 year old Weil Mclain Gold boiler in my basement that provides heat and hot water. The hot water is the typical indirect tank setup and the tank is leaking. The leak comes from the heat exchanger coil and a replacement seems the way to go.

Additional info: I also have gas in the basement and I cook with gas.

Question: I find myself with the following choices and wonder which approach you all hot water for favor:
(1) Replace the indirect tank with another one.
(2) Pipe the gas from the meter to the furnace place and install a gas boiler with a tank.
(3) Go with a tankless on-demand system.

There are three aspects I am aware of: (a) cost of the system itself plus installation and plumbing, (b) maintenance requirement of the system (like annual tune-ups, etc.) and (c) energy efficiency . I am aware that we cannot discuss specific prices on this forum; I am interested in a rough comparison not in actual numbers.

I am very much not an expert and would highly appreciate any input anyone could offer.

Thanks much in advance,

Peter

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Just to make sure were on the same page, you have a separate storage tank for hot water, or a tankless coil (coil in the boiler) that's leaking?
    steve
  • Peterm_2
    Thanks, Steve,

There is a separate tank that holds the hot water and it is that tank that is leaking. This tank is just like a large thermos, as I understand it. There is a heat exchanger coil that supplies heat from the furnace to the water in that tank. The furnace is working fine and I have both heat and (at least for now) hot water.

Thanks again,

Peter
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited November 2016
    If you can afford to I would up date the oil boiler to NG since you already have gas to the house. I'm not sure if you will like the tankless hot water heater after having an indirect tank. I only say this because of the wait time of getting hot water to the taps. Also some times you can get water temp fluctuations if your on well water. Some people are more picky then others. The indirect is always my first choice if sized correctly you will never run out of hot water.
    Peterm_2
  • Peterm_2
    Thanks, Tommy! You input is much appreciated. I am not sure whether updating the boilers is a viable option right now, but I'll talk it over with the wife...
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Then I would recommend going with another indirect tank. You can always do the boiler at a later time.
    Peterm_2
  • Peterm_2
    Thanks again! So, if I understand you right, you recommend passive hot water in any case either gas (new boiler) or oil (keep the boiler) but to skip the separate gas water heater?
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Get a replacement indirect water heater. If you replace the boiler at a later date, or install a gas burner on it, you will still be able to use the indirect.
    Peterm_2
  • Peterm_2
    Thanks, Robert! This does make sense.