Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power surge now no heat

jlg3256
jlg3256 Member Posts: 5
I bad a power surge due to open ground when tree hit wires. Fuses were blown. After furnace would not start. Blower can be turned on, thermostat appears to br calling for heat. Honeywell r7284 screen is dark and will not come on when reset button pushed. Any help woukd be greatly appreciated- its Sunday and if its something simpleI can check before calling service person.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Check the furnace control board for a flashing LED or a numeric display.

Do you have a multimeter? Check the transformer for ~27 VAC at the output.
  • jlg3256
    No display at all
  • jlg3256
    I don't have a multimeter. I can turn blower on.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Sorry -- I mis-read that number as being a thermostat and it's actually an oil burner primary control. You need to verify that you have 120 VAC power to the control first. No meter = hard to troubleshoot. Blank display could easily be caused by a damage from a power surge of that type.
  • jlg3256
    Yes, it is primary oil control box. Thanks, I'll check with my son about meter. I was hoping someone would tell me there's a reset I dont know about or fuse! Hate having to call for emergency service - probably just wait for tomorrow. Thanks for your response!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you have 120v at the primary control, the primary was sizzled. If you don't have 120 coming in, the board or the fan/limit could've taken the hit.
    There's most likely no hidden blown fuse.
    BTW, what's more important is that you're system took an electrical hit. You absolutely want someone to come out and check all the safety limits to make sure something didn't get welded shut, and won't open (turn off your burner) for an unsafe condition.
    steve
  • jlg3256
    Steve, thanks for the info and help. I really appreciate it! Call to service guy tomorrow.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Kiss all the low voltage controls good-bye. No repairs, just replacements
    jlg3256