Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electronic DHW Tempering Valves

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
This discussion was created from comments split from: Commercial DHW.

Comments

• BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    SWEI said:

Dan Foley said:

This is the first time we have used the ETV. The existing Leonard mixing valve station scales up and is re-built just about every six months due to hard water and scale.

Similar experience here with a couple of large Symmons mixing valves. We recently replaced one of those with a homegrown ETV setup. Film at eleven.
    Which brand 3-way ball valve and actuator did you wind up using? L or T ball? Happy with it? I'm thinking about using a Honeywell T775 for the controls.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We used an NSF-rated 304SS globe valve.
  • BigRob
    Thanks. Have you seen the Powers Intellistation?

They are using a Siemens actuator. I'm not sure if the 3-way valve is Siemens, too. It does have a plastic "flow linearization" insert.

See page 68 and 69:

http://media.wattswater.com/2915182.pdf

I'm a little confused with what type of flow characteristic they are using.
  • SWEI
    I had not see the Powers -- thanks for the link. At first glance, it looks a bit complex.

Heat-Timer also uses a Siemens actuator. It's fast (20 seconds full travel) but is a rather antiquated design. We ordered a Belimo with a 35-second run time (G21 option, the fastest they offer that family.)
  • BigRob
    I agree. Why all the pressure sensors? I guess I can see sensing for loss of cold pressure but seems like overkill.

I like that powers is using a ball valve. The valve has a characterization and the instructions say it's a linearization insert.

Anybody know what the flow curve is for "normal" full port 3-way valve with an uncharacterized ball?

I'm thing to determine the best mixing approach to ensure high turndown across the ball rotation.

On page 69 of the powers install guide (link above) shows a characterization insert on the intended outlet. What type of response curve is this?
  • SWEI
    BigRob said:

Anybody know what the flow curve is for "normal" full port 3-way valve with an uncharacterized ball?

It's truly awful. Think 100-99-98-97-94-90-80-50-20-10-6-3-2-1-0.
    On page 69 of the powers install guide (link above) shows a characterization insert on the intended outlet. What type of response curve is this?
    Looks very similar to what Belimo uses. The shapes vary quite a bit depending on the specific flow requirement (seven different versions just for 1/2" valves.) Belimo did not have anything rated for DHW temps and oxygen levels (never mind NSF.)
    BigRob
  • BigRob
    edited November 2016
    Comparing the Powers pictures to manufacturers, it seems the 3-way valve is also Siemens (makes sense) and the characterization insert is maybe an equal % insert. What's interesting is I don't see a lead free option in this catalog:

https://www.downloads.siemens.com/download-center/Download.aspx?pos=download&fct=getasset&id1=A6V10414605

Also, I think I remember reading the actuator is a super cap close model AND the control unit is made by Tekmar (the product literature states this).

The actuator appears to be the GAP and GNP version:

http://www.buildingtechnologies.siemens.com/bt/global/en/products/hvac-products/damper-actuators/actuators-for-hvac-applications/pages/gnp191_01e.aspx

• SWEI
    edited November 2016
    We used temperature sensors and fairly basic logic. Mechanical fail-safes and extra redundancy all sound great, but I'm not currently developing this for market. I have some interesting ideas for demand signaling, but realistically won't have time to pursue development on those for at least a year.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Remember it needs to be low lead and have an ASSE listing to protect you and the customer on domestic water systems. Additional listings possibly in Canada
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    BigRob
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Let me know if you need access to ASSE Kurt. Their office is in my office in Mokena. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of IAPMO.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • BigRob
    hot rod said:

Remember it needs to be low lead and have an ASSE listing to protect you and the customer on domestic water systems. Additional listings possibly in Canada

What's interesting is I don't see a lead free version of that Siemens 3-way valve. I wonder if they're able to define the product as the entire assembly, including checks, pipe, unions, etc, then use the total weight in the low lead calculation. Or, they have a special part, which seems very expensive and unlikely, but possible.

If anybody knows what Siemens actuator is being used, please let me know. It looks like one of their bigger "OpenAir" models, but claims to have supercap closing instead of spring return.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Yes it is a weighted calculation for assemblies. It needs to have the low lead certifications to pass inspection.
    IAMPO is very proud of their listings, and the $$ show it. It can be certified by others to meet that ANSI standard.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream