Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SmartCycle on a Peerless 63 series

Has anyone connected the SmartCycle option of a CycleGard on a 63 series Peerless boiler? They say "Connect “BURNER” terminal on the CycleGard control to the orange burner wire (120VAC) located under the oil burner transformer." What is the “BURNER” terminal expecting to see? Which "orange" wire did you use?

Thanks,
Burke

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited November 2016
    Well, I have a CycleGard, and a Peerless boiler, and I did connect the SmartCycle terminal, but my boiler is gas-fired, and the controls are 24v, but let's see if we can figure this out.

The "burner" terminal that activates the SmartCycle feature is connected to the "hot" terminal on the gas control. This is the same terminal that the power goes to from the limit controls. So the "burner" terminal sees the power that's actually going to the burner itself. If the thermostat is satisfied, or the Pressuretrol/Vaporstat is open, or the CycleGard cuts the power to the burner, it sees nada. When all those things are on and the brner is firing, it sees the operating voltage of the burner: 110 in your case, 24 in mine.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • curiousburke_2
    curiousburke_2 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for the info. Just a correction on my part, my boiler is gas, it's just the manual that mentions oil. Also, it's only the CycleGard that uses 110V, the rest of the electronics are on the other side of a 24V transformer. Currently, my CycleGard simply disconnects 110V power to the transformer. This is part of what I found confusing: the CycleGard mentions 120V but I believe everything feeding the burner is 24V.

EDIT: since the limit controls connect to the 24V TH on the ignition module, I assume that is the one I grab.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Toss the cyclegard and replace with a safegard
    New England SteamWorks
  • Hap_Hazzard
    I think you need a 24 volt Cyclegard model, CG400 instead of CG450. If you have a CG450 set up to turn off the transformer, then the hot leg of the transformer primary is going to be 120 all the time, unless the Cyclegard cuts out, so the "burner" lead won't be able to detect when the heating cycle begins.

If you can't get a 24 volt Cyclegard, you'll only be able to use a 120v water feeder too, because a 24 volt water feeder won't be able to operate if the 24 volt circuit is interrupted by the LWC.
  • curiousburke_2
    curiousburke_2 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2016
    Sorry for the delay, and thank you for the help. I also called HydroLevel, and according to them you are correct, I would need a 24V CycleGard to use the SmartCycle feature. Why the heck did Peerless use the 120V model if it can't use the SmartCycle feature? I can't say I completely believed what the representative was saying. I'm not sure if this matters, but I also rewired so that my 450 does not cut power to the transformer, but instead breaks the control loop. By itself, this new wiring greatly improves the system operation. Now my thermostat doesn't forget what it was doing every 15 minutes.

davert
  • davert
    davert Member Posts: 11
    I know this is ye olde discussion, but I'd like to thank you for the info - I too have a CG450 on my Peerless boiler, and was trying to figure out how to use the SmartCycle. I was thinking of replacing this with the Safegard, but I'd like to set up a timer on the vaporstat first.

As an aside, Hap Hazzard, your advice on the boiler was spot on and it's been working much better. Night and day.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Sometimes I get lucky. ;)