Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jotul gas fireplace, blower keeps cycling on/off

Jza1736
Jza1736 Member Posts: 4
I have a Jotul gas fireplace. I had it off for the summer. I lit the pilot light last week. For some reason the blower (controlled by a Snap disc thermostat), keeps cycling on 5 min / off maybe 20. It's acting like the main flame is on, but it's not. Only the pilot light is on.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Where is the snap disk located relitive to the pilot? Is the pilot the correct size according the the manual? Also there should be a temperature printed/stamped on the snap disk, check the location on the fireplace to confirm if it's warm enough to activate the disk.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jza1736
    Where is the snap disk located relitive to the pilot?
    Directly underneath it.

Is the pilot the correct size according the the manual?
    Yes it's OEM. It has worked perfectly for 2 years (bought the house with the unit)

Also there should be a temperature printed/stamped on the snap disk, check the location on the fireplace to confirm if it's warm enough to activate the disk.
    I would have to remove it to get the temps. I believe it's working, because the blower is turning on and off?? Would it turn on if the disc is not working?

Thanks for your help
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    How warm does the unit get in the area of the snap disk? The snap disk may be defective and turning on too early, or there may be a draft problem causing the fireplace to become too warm with just the pilot running.

Is this a direct vent unit or is there a vertical flue, lined wood burning fireplace chimney. Can you inspect the vent for any blockage such as nests etc?

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jza1736
    This is a direct vent unit. I will check the vent after work. I was thinking the thermostat also. But just wanted another opinion. Thank you
  • Jza1736
    I checked the outside vent. It's clear and there's a screen that will keep out critters. The inside would require taking apart the unit. Does the inside get clogged?
    I'm leaning towards the snap disc thermostat.