Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mcclain cga gold + Nest

Options
milan
milan Member Posts: 1
The temperature went down yesterday so I started thinking to turn on my heat. I purchased the apartment 2 months ago in small walkup building. I noticed that each unit has his own boiler WeilMcclain cga gold. Also my unit has Honeywell t87 with mercury. In the wall I see only 2 wires (black and white) I wanted to install Nest but I realized that I need "c wire" so I put some simple programmerable thermostat that runs on bateries.
First of all I would like to start the heat but Im not sure can I simple turn on the heat on thermostat or I have to go to the basement and turn on something before I turn on thermostat? Please note that Im foreigner that has never dealt with gas, boilers and thermostat.
Once Im sure that everything is working seamlessly I would like to install the Nest. Probably I can plug in the wire from ac 24v transformer into the C
It would be great if someone can tell me how to run the heat. Some tips on Nest wiring are welcome as well
Thank you very much

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    What would be the advantage of the Nest thermostat over the simple thermostat you have now? Many people here think there will be no reduction in gas consumption when using a short temperature setback. The amount of gas burned to regain the higher setting could equal the amount saved during the low setting.
    You would be better off to select a constant lower temperature, and leave it at that.--NBC
    delta T
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    and since the heating season isnt full bore..now's the time to have it serviced so any issue's can be addressed before it's cold...they can also show you how to start the system up..