Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you change the pressure regulator?

Options
bender1227
bender1227 Member Posts: 50
I have a Weil McLain Gold GCT boiler with an expansion tank and a separate hot water heater.

The regulator is allowing water to enter the system bringing the system up to 40 psi then stopping. The regulator is rated for 12-15 psi so I'm assuming it's broken. Can these be cleaned or should they just be replaced?

How do I replace this?
Are there any precautions I should be doing or extra servicing that needs to be done after this installation?

Comments

• bender1227
    Options

m/heatinghelp.vanillaforums.com/editor/64/my2v32o8sun6.jpeg" alt="" />

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    It seems unlikely that both the PRV and the auto fill valve have failed simultaneously.
    Check the existing boiler gauge for accuracy, and that may be the problem.
    Usually a gauge can be put on the boiler drain valve to check this.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Can you locate it? It is not in your pictures above.

I and possibly others think you should bite the bullet and call in a pro.
    You may have enough accumulative issues to create a disaster.
    When was the last time a pro has serviced your system?
    Canucker
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree with @JUGHNE. You seem to have problems with both. You've started 3 threads all around the same problem. It would be worth it to get a competent pro in there, replace the parts if necessary, go over the whole system and properly bleed the system of air.
    steve
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I have read all of these threads and I think one point the OP has missed is no one has said definitively what the problem is, only suggested possibilities. The OP is ready to make a bunch of changes not knowing what the cause is.

In addition I worry about the skill set of the OP in tackling this problem given the comments that have been made.

To the OP you really need to get a pro out there to figure this issue out as it appears you are in way over your head.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Gordy
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    @bender1227 - I get that you want to tackle this on your own, but sometimes it's best to keep your hands in your pockets and call in a trained professional (especially when some of the brightest guys in the industry are telling you to do just that).

https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Tinmandelta TCanuckerGordy
  • bender1227
    Options
    I will contact a Pro.

Can you break a pressure regulator by soldering to close to it? A new pressure regulator was installed and the pressure is still rising up to 40 psi?

Thanks
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Have we seen a picture of the fill valve? How about it being a fast fill and the lever is open to give city pressure....it could be only 40 PSI, mine is that at best.

Then the pressure relief safety valve is plugged as we have never heard of it opening there or not?

Gauge could be toast, many don't last long.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Also the exp tank could be waterlogged or very low on charge.
    Perhaps the real issue is Pressure relief valve plugged and fast fill open. All these other contribute to the "Perfect Storm" being built up??? JAT