Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

no oil pulling to pump

bravo
bravo Member Posts: 4
hey yall!! i have underground tank with 2 lines..i ran out of oil and it wouldn't start..i replaced inline filter and beckett cleancut pump. I siphoned oil to pump and it will start but not draw oil in..i tried reset and bleeding for hrs..it is not that..th pump works and unit fires when I manually feed oil into line..whaat is my problem

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    So it will work out of a can, but not from the tank?
    1 pipe or 2 pipe?
    What vacuum are you pulling when you're hooked up to the underground tank?
    What pressure is the fuel pump set?

Could be air, vacuum leak or blockage, depending on what the gauges tell you.
    steve
  • bravo
    2 lines..i pulled bypass screw out and plugged return.. still not working..im pulling 30psi from tank. I'm pretty sure it's a air leak..im only getting bubbles of oil
  • STEVEusaPA
    I think you're pulling 30 inches of vacuum, exceeding the pump specifications. If you had an air leak you're vacuum would be low, or zero.
    How much lift (feet in height) from the bottom of the tank to the burner?
    Running the pump with 30 in. of vacuum with no oil will shorten it's life pretty quick.
    You most likely have a restriction. Can you blow back the supply to the tank?
    It's also possible when you're received an oil delivery that the fuel pushed your supply line and it bent (kinked).
    If you have a push pull pump, pump back to the tank, then try to pump (pull) it back in. If you can get decent flow, hook it back up and you should be fine.
    If you cant you'll have to investigate further. If the return line was run down almost as far as the supply line, and it has no check valve in it, maybe you can see if you can pull oil through that, and if so hook that up to your supply port.
    If that doesn't work, it's decision time...try a tiger loop, or run new supply line, or put in above ground or basement tank-which may not be a bad idea considering the problems and laws with an underground tank, and the fact that it's probably very old.
    steve
  • bravo
    how do I jumper a Honeywell sequel to run long enough to prime lin
  • bravo
    Honeywell r7184p..it autocorrect
  • STEVEusaPA
    I think you really should get a qualified tech over there before you burn out another pump.
    steve
    SWEI