Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quick leak fix for pipes on MSN post

Options
PinkTavo
PinkTavo Member Posts: 64

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    Options
    Seems great as long as it's not in my house.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • L Thiesen
    L Thiesen Member Posts: 54
    Options
    I almost never see leaks in locations like that. In the middle of straight lengths of pipe and not near fittings, elbows, tees etc.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Not really any different than the saddle clamps that have been used for the last 100 years on galvanized pipe.
  • PinkTavo
    Options
    Was wondering if it was just a gimmick. Sounds like they took something old and re-did it. I've only see a leak like they show on a pipe that had been frozen.
  • Fred
    Options
    PinkTavo said:

Was wondering if it was just a gimmick. Sounds like they took something old and re-did it. I've only see a leak like they show on a pipe that had been frozen.

Every once and a while a careless carpenter will drive a nail in an area and hit a water pipe or on rare occasion a copper pipe will spring a pin hole leak. If that clamp is exposed where you could keep an eye on it, or as a quick emergency fix, it's probably okay. Always better to cut the pipe and sweat a coupling in though.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Fred said:

PinkTavo said:

Every once and a while a careless carpenter will drive a nail in an area and hit a water pipe or on rare occasion a copper pipe will spring a pin hole leak. If that clamp is exposed where you could keep an eye on it, or as a quick emergency fix, it's probably okay. Always better to cut the pipe and sweat a coupling in though.
    Only because a careless plumber ran a pipe through a stud without a nail guard........

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Options
    Many, many do! Especially on retrofits. Besides, there are literally millions of homes out there that were plumbed before someone came up with the nail guards, not to mention those copper pipes fastened vertically along the side of a stud or horizontally along a floor joist.
  • PinkTavo
    Options
    LOL. That is exactly what Hank Hill would say!
    ChrisJ
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    @ChrisJ, what about when carpenters use 4" molding nails, is that the plumbers fault too? :lol:
    ChrisJkcopp
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @Danny Scully I come from a family of carpenters but I'm not biased ;)
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options

@ChrisJ, what about when carpenters use 4" molding nails, is that the plumbers fault too? :lol:

@Danny Scully the 4 inch nails get used when it's"weight bearing" trim. At least, it was in my house. ;) I tell ya, it's that kind of outside the box thinking that makes life great. lol
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • mikedo
    mikedo Member Posts: 174
    Options
    or just press a coupling in that way it if water is their it won't affect it. years ago i used to use a ips by sweat t to allow the steam and water to escape