Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a stagnant issue?

MikeG
MikeG Member Posts: 169
About 5 years ago as I was rememodeling I capped off the hot and cold domestic water lines to the bathroom. They are now fed from a different direction. These two lines 1/2 copper are about 15' long and come off the supply lines to the kitchen sink. They are horizontal right now and are dead end long stubs above a ceiling. It has to be stagnant I would think. I'm doing some work in the room above leveling the floor so not an issue cutting them back and capping them short right at the tee. Just wondering what is the potential health issue. Would not have thought much about this years ago. Thanks Mike

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2016
    It's a good question.
    I would think like you, best to get rid of them. But doesn't almost every house have this potential issue. Think about larger houses that don't use every bathroom (or guest bathroom), or a hose bib that doesn't get used all winter (or for years). Water sits in those pipes for long stretches of time.
    steve
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Possibly, there is never any flow in those dead end lines. What we are learning is that bacteria can be present and grow under the right conditions, and could someday enter the rest of your system and out the shower head. I would avoid or eliminate that condition if possible.

It seems once that seed is planted in your head, you will wonder overtime if you get the flu or a cold if it is plumbing caused:)

Years ago in KC I believe they ran PVC water mains into cul d sacs for a new housing development. As the final homes were built and connected into those lines, years later they started seeing health issues. The theory was the chlorinated water reacted and leached plasticizers from the piping and ended up in the homes as they tied into that dead end main.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Steve, HR,

In my case I can easily fix it and I will. I don't want to think about it later wondering if I should have done it. The rest of my house has fixtures used on a regular basis. Well the hose bib doesn't get used as much in the winter, and I still will drink out of the hose now and then. I've been known to run with scissors too. Now I'm looking at my son's house, which is also an old famhouse. I want to make sure there are no dead end lines. I'm not paranoid but we've fixed most everything else as we go. Thanks for the insight. Mike
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    knowing what you know, and if it is an easy modification, why not.

Some suggest a pvc garden hose is one of the worse places to have leaching, especially if it has been in the sun :) Unscrew the hose and drink from the faucet.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Isn't there more risk with hot water dead end supplies than with cold?
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Most municipalities add chlorine and chloromines to their water supplies to kill bacteria, can't say the same about well water