Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pump performance

Is it unreasonable for a heat pump to maintain 72 degrees inside when the temperature outside is 95 to 100 degrees?

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Depending upon sizing. Is 95-100 typical weather there or higher than normal? The general sizing methods say keep the house 75 on the hottest day of a typical summer. Most dealers oversize, some considerably. If 100 is about what you run in the summer, then a "properly" sized A/C in the hottest time of the day could struggle to get 72. If the unit is oversized, like mine, it will do it.
    Empire_2
  • debrucer
    debrucer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks John
    Just for the record,
    I live in Florida. The house is a single story, with close to 3000 sf and the unit is 5 ton. It is also has 4 zones. The unit was just installed less than 2 years ago. Even with the 2 sleeping zones set at 78 degrees the other 2 steadily rise in temperature during the afternoon hours to 77 -78 degrees as well regardless of how I set the thermostat.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Sizing ac is not a trivial matter, glass plays a very heavy roll in this topic. 75 is the official standard for inside temp. I am in Massachusetts, nowhere near as toasty as FL, but we do get heat waves. Our official design temp is 87, and of course it can hit 100.
    Was this a replacement system? Are you sure the installers did their job properly? These systems need the correct amount of refrigerant.
    Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Is the duct work good. Major leakage in the duct system can grossly reduce system operating efficiency.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Do you have good airflow coming out of the vents?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    The unit could be bouncing off of high head pressure switch. Actually could be a million reasons for poor performance
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com