Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeds and stems DB solar

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
Tinkering out loud on a way to build an inexpensive HX tank. I think this would work with a standard electric water heater also. This tank had 2" ports so I was able to get 3/4 CSST into it.

Remove the top and bottom element, thread in some 1/2 CSST fro the HX. Use the CSST termination fitting to seal the CSST into the tank connection.

The DB tank is a $30, 6 gallon air tank from Harbor Freight, with one additional nipple brazed in the bottom.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
SWEIkcopp

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Lol the header sounds like something that would have came out of my mouth in disappointment back in high school........
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Bob, what's the tank made of? Any chance the stainless will accelerate rusting of the tank? Is there an electrical break between tank and HX coil. Just helping you tinker out loud! :p

Yours, Larry
  • hot_rod

Bob, what's the tank made of? Any chance the stainless will accelerate rusting of the tank? Is there an electrical break between tank and HX coil. Just helping you tinker out loud! :p

Yours, Larry

Hey Larry, how are you.

It's a glass lined steel tank,a brass bushing makes up the adapter through the side.

The tank has provisions for dual anode rods up top also.

I have seen cutaways of the Euro tanks, same detail with stainless hx inside.

I think the CSST could be pulled out if it ever failed. Trying to salvage some freight damaged components
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    How much csst did you get into the tank? That looks like a trick to stuff it in on the bottom and get it to pop out the top.
  • hot_rod
    About 50' of tube. With 2" ports it was fairly easy.

I started in the bottom, grabbed it in the upper hole, then kept pushing into the tank while keeping the end in the upper hole.

It winds in all directions inside and supports itself with the intertwined wraps.

It is standard CSST gas flex that I pulled the plastic jacket off of.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA