Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

the US market for TRVs

Boon
Boon Member Posts: 260
I'm having a hard time finding 'good' TRVs in the states. Decorative options, programmable options, ... seems UK/Europe has all the options. Where can I find this variety in the states? I've googled like crazy and every hit takes me to Europe.

Specifically, I want to pipe my Runtal panels into the wall instead of the floor, and I don't want the actuator head sticking out into the room; I'd prefer it standing up next to the radiator, assuming that position won't give false readings. TRVs seem to expect the supply/return coming from the floor. I've seen some TRVs, again in UK markets, that come with a matching 90° that - presumably - is meant to pipe to the wall.

Anyway, my specifics aside, where can I find a strong variety of decorative and/or programmable TRVs in the US market?
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Programmable TRVs should be coming soon.

Oventrop offers a fairly wide range of configurations.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    We make about 5 million TRV a year in all sorts of configurations and designer styles. We are just one of dozens of manufacturers in Europe, so it is a huge market in Europe and the Scandinavian countries.

There just isn't enough US market to bring in a wide range of products and options over, others have tried.

There are a number of sources for standard type, "plain jane" style in the US as mentioned. I have not seen many of the designer styles offered in the US.

Shop online for some of the unusual styles that many UK companies have online. Tube size is often metric, some will match US sizes.

I tried the Caleffi and Heimeier brand programable heads, they are gear drives and a bit noisy if you install one next to your bed, for example. They also read in metric units only.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Boon
    I wish the valve bodies were all PushFit x PushFit then they could be sold in any country because adapters, like Push x MNPT or Push x 15mm or Push x BSP etc, could configure the valve as needed.

I finally figured out I'm looking for a "double angle" or "corner" TRV and I only found two (Herz and Jaga) that are NPT, but their availability seems sketchy.

The oventrop-us ones say 1/2" but they don't specify if that is BSP or NPT, and other measurements on the brochure/spec sheet are metric.

I'm not hopeful but I'll make some calls tomorrow.

DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • hot_rod
    Is this the valve you are looking for? You want 1/2" push fit on the wall stub side, and radiator valve connection for the Runtal?
    Standard angle style are available push fit, nut sure about the double angle style.

Ideally the TRV is horizontal for good air flow and temperature regulation.
    I have used them standing vertical and they seem to work fine.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Boon
    Thanks. That's the one, though I was going to press not push. I'm using Fostapex so if Fostapex can push and that's the right valve then I'm sold.

If horizontal is indicated then I could pipe from the bottom instead of the side, which puts the actuator horizontally underneath the radiator.

I'm trying to keep the piping 'footprint' as tight as I can.

I still can't believe how much selection Europe has!
  • hot_rod
    That is FostaPex in the pic. It is not the cleanest looking connection, A compression style connection for the FostaPex would clean it up some.

Compression connections are the most common when piping with pex to TRVs.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SWEI