Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil 2 Gas conversion

Options
cchhat01
cchhat01 Member Posts: 17
Hello,

In getting quotes for oil to gas converstion started, I received a quote from some folks in my area near hicksville, ny.
currently have a oil fired boiler, indirect water heater, 275 gallon in basement (above ground) oil tank.
These need to be removed and proper permits filed with nassau county of course.
Have only a single bath (with potential for 1 more bath in the coming year, which will determine hot water output). have a dishwasher and washer dryer combo as well.
i did inquire into a few boilers and I'm leaning very much towards a Bosch Greenstar 151 Combi.
I am getting decent quotes but nothing substantial enough for me to say "you're hired".
I did want to raise a concern.
One of the guys who came by wanted to sell me a Bosch Greenstar 151P instead of the full fledged 151.

What am i missing apart from included expansion tank within the 151 that the 151P doesnt have.
I am getting quotes for a doing the necessary controls for a 2nd zone for the basement heating (not the heating, just the controls to expand it at a later time).

thanks
cchhat01

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    The 151 is less the FW200 control, expansion tank and 5 year parts and labor. Be happy to give you quote if you'd like.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • cchhat01
    Options

The 151 is less the FW200 control, expansion tank and 5 year parts and labor. Be happy to give you quote if you'd like.

Sure,

If you're Bob O'Brien (Technical Heating), I actually reached out to you for an estimate but never heard back from you.

Chirag
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Yes, I am. The name doesn't ring a bell? Be happy to take a look this week
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    What happened to your Veissmann contractor for a 10k conversion.How many more people do you have to come to your house.You said you were signing a contract with the plumber who offered you Veissmann boiler plus indirect,permits,oil removal etc for 10k.Sounds like a winner to me.Sorry for the pricing quote Dan.Good luck with it @Robert O'Brien .
  • cchhat01
    Options
    @jonny88,

I said I was reviewing Viessman & Bosch but decided against a Viessman because:
    1. The lack of support from local installers. If I can't find overnight support in case of a failure, I'm inclined to look away.
    2. I don't gain any added space (I'm still stuck with a Boiler+Indirect)
    3. Bosch install quotes are lower and more friendlier to my budget. Installers are standing behind the Bosch because of local availability of parts.

Agreed they are both fine german manufactured products, but it all boils down to what do you want to prepare for:
    1. a non-working Viessman on a 20F night
    2. a non-working Bosch on a 20F night

As I said, I am comparing the different quotes and some mentioned to me a different version of the Bosch (151 vs 151P).

I just want to make sure I am not getting shortchanged by various installers on my lack of product info.

I think part of the process is to understand what is being installed and who is trying to get me suckered into an agreement.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    As per last conversation you were signing a contract with the contractor who was offering Veissmann boiler plus Vitocell 100 as well as tank removal etc all within your budget.What changed.You got Adam from Veissmann to advise you on installer etc what happened.As noted to you both IBC and HTP have great support and I believe on your budget you may have to compromise on your choice of boiler.I wish you well.
    kcoppRich_49