Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Constant circulation

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited May 2016 in THE MAIN WALL

imageConstant circulation

Constant circulation

Read the full story here

Paul S_3

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,925
    Options
    Very thorough explanations...Thanks guys. Mad Dog
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    That should clear up some things for the masses.
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Dennis1679
    Dennis1679 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Great explanations, but it doesn't always have to be that complicated With proper heat emitter sizing, the boiler protected and/or installed as a secondary loop with temperature reset and maybe inside temperature feedback if the control allows, constant circulation is the quietest heat and remains the most comfortable. This works best in smaller houses, with not too many zones so that the primary zone is always on, and TRVs or Zone valves are used to prevent overheating of some smaller areas. The key is proper sizing. With a mod con, there may be no lower limit to the system temp, but in the houses I have done this to (including my own) I usually make it 100 or 110 if it's baseboard, as lower than that doesn't seem to do much..
    You do give up all that crazy control, but with proper sizing who needs it?
    You don't need any complicated controls. I've installed quite a few Knights with ZVC relays to switch the small zones on and off with no calling of the boiler needed. You wouldn't really need a ZVC relay, but the electricians like them
    The main zone controls the call to the boiler.
    The key is smaller houses, and proper sizing.
    I learned this in the 80's at the IBR school, so it's nothing new and not necessarily a European idea. It makes the house quiet and comfortable all the time.
    I do now use Delta T circs, but I installed plenty with 007s. No deadheading with the main zone always open
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Excellent commentary on how constant circulation works. I've been using this method for over 25 years and haven't used conventional boiler controls since 1997. Never had a complaint that a customer's home was too cold or hot. Most commented that the home had used 30-50% less fuel. Since the boiler of choice was Viessmann, it was always set up to do CC. The only difference over the years was the PBD wasn't needed when a "smart" pump was being used. I learned from Bernd Giese, a retired German pipefitter who ran the Western Canada Viessmann office. He made it easy to understand and I'm fortunate he did.