Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pics! Owner says it's fine, I think it's shot

adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
Picture-crack! :). I took a few pictures of the boiler in a house I am buying, it looks like at one time it may of been over-fired? At the very least the water feeder on the side is busted....

https://icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0OGWZuqDGwnuut
Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited May 2016
    It looks like it has been around the block a few times!
    Overfill it to the header and look for leaks, which might take an hour if pinhole sized.
    Pull the burner tubes to look for rust stains.--NBC
  • adamfre
    Thanks! I did that and it's sitting now. I'll swing back by there in the evening and look for wet spots.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Any water level stains on the basement walls? This could have been under water (almost) from the looks of the gas valve and burners.
    Canucker
  • I'd ask the previous owner to warranty the heater for proper operation. If they won't, get a home warranty with a company that will cover it although many home warranty companies use hack contractors.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Wow that boiler has seen better days.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • adamfre
    @JUGHNE not that I have noticed. You are right, that gas valve looks pretty bad
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    You could just walk away....
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    If you can't say no becasue you don't know how, tell him/her your business associate (that's me) doesn't feel comfortable with the lack of service this boiler has endured and you can have your associate call him/her to explain further.

I'd be happy to cut this one loose for you!

I'm sick and tired of people telling us what flies and what doesn't, I crossed that hump many years ago.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcopp
  • GW
    Ah snap, you're the home buyer?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Hatterasguy
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    If it holds water it could last a month or a decade, If you buy the house I would plan on replacing that boiler sooner rather than later. If that is ok with you, pull the trigger.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • GW
    edited May 2016
    This is simple real estate, buyer and seller can haggle over these matters during the inspection period. What the seller thinks or says isn't too relevant. If there's an agreement, great, house is yours. If not, keep looking. That boiler needs to go to the scrap yard. It's been neglected.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Wow.
    I'd want that gone.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • adamfre
    Did work a deal where the owner will pay up to $5000 to make operational or assist in replacement.
  • GW
    Good job, they were asking for it with a clunker like that
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Definitely looks like water got to gas valve, I would also say pilot safety too. Replace gas safety valves, low water cutoff and see if you notice any staining on pressure controls. If boiler ok, replace all above. Check burners for corrosion also, that age probably might not be able to get new burners if rusted. Then boiler is done.