Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Red powder substance in combustion chamber of Viessmann VB2-40

Mike Lampkin_2
Mike Lampkin_2 Member Posts: 124
Can anyone tell me what forms the red powder substance inside the combustion chamber of a Viessmann VB2-40 oil fired boiler. I have cleaned other Viessmann boilers with the same model number and when I open the combustion chamber door on other boilers, the color that I see is more dark black, but not sooty. The boilers are set up properly and are running clean. There is very little soot developed over the year that the boiler is running. Just can't figure out what the red substance is. The oil tank is in the basement has (#2 fuel), and the burners are Riello with the O2 at 5% and the CO2 at 12%.
Thanks, Mike

Comments

• burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Same oil company at all places ? I was thinking the dyed fuel oil
  • spoon22
    spoon22 Member Posts: 32
    My theory is that it is the dye in the fuel it isin all boiler makes no matter how well they are running always in the chamber area
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    Either the dye in the fuel or something foreign coming in along with the combustion air.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    This is a Buderus blueflame that hadn't been touched in 2.5 years. Very common.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 793
    Reddish or flaky powder is usually from the sulfur in the oil. Sometimes it is mistaken for rust. Not sure if the dye gives it more color or not.