Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SS Indirect worth the price difference over glass lined?

gschallert
gschallert Member Posts: 170
I'm getting estimates on a new indirect DHW and contractors have conflicting recs. One says SS is the only way to go with indirect and the other says glass lined. Chlorides aren't an issue so the only difference I can see is the warranty, limited lifetime on tank & exchanger for SS v. 6 years on glass lined. Anyone have experience with the SS indirects and if the warranty is worth the extra $$? Indirects being recommend are Bradford White PowerStor SS (RTV) & PowerStor (SW). As just a homeowner it seems "logical" to me to go for the better warranty even at the higher price point but I don't really know whether the SS tanks actually achieve the longer lifespans. Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Well I'd need to know what exactly do they mean by limited lifetime? If they will replace the failing component and pay the labor great! Otherwise I like the glass lined HTP Super Stor Contender. (I'm a homeowner not a pro) I can tell you that I had a Bock glass lined and it lasted 20 years. The Super Stor Contender has a 7 year warranty and I'm waiting to see how long it lasts. You may also wish to consider how long you will stay in your home.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018

I'm getting estimates on a new indirect DHW and contractors have conflicting recs. One says SS is the only way to go with indirect and the other says glass lined. Chlorides aren't an issue so the only difference I can see is the warranty, limited lifetime on tank & exchanger for SS v. 6 years on glass lined. Anyone have experience with the SS indirects and if the warranty is worth the extra $$? Indirects being recommend are Bradford White PowerStor SS (RTV) & PowerStor (SW). As just a homeowner it seems "logical" to me to go for the better warranty even at the higher price point but I don't really know whether the SS tanks actually achieve the longer lifespans. Any feedback appreciated.

Have you tested you chloride levels? It is well documented that chloride levels are on the rise in both private and public water systems.

All things considered I think the quality glass lined tanks cover more water quality, potential issues.

With glass lined, avoid wide and high temperature swings, that seems to be what shortens their life expectancy.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~cbensa/Salinity/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    As I understand it, the limited lifetime covers the tank being swapped one time (tank price, no labor). It is not transferable and they supposedly will check tax records to make sure you were the original purchaser, which in your case will be correct. I feel like it's worth it IF you are planning to stay in your home and you make sure it's installed properly. If you have city water and your pressure is high, or there is a check valve it's suggested you have a potable tank on the cold side to absorb quick shutoff valves, i.e. dishwashers, laundry units, this will help keep the seals on the tanks from wearing out. This is more for the Weil McLain tanks but a good idea for all.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 90
    Watch the PH level also, the Crown MS needs between 6.0 & 8.0.
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Thanks for the feedback. The limited lifetime warranty is on the tank & exchanger except under certain conditions i.e. "Adverse local conditions, and specifically, sediment or lime precipitate in the tank; or corrosive elements in the atmosphere; or water quality contrary to the written requirements furnished with the unit. " The water has been tested and falls well within documented parameters in the manual. Well water system so high city pressure isn't a problem either.

Everything we've researched on the SS v. glass lined indicates the RTV-xx-L model is the way to go because of the grade of SS used, 444 (ferritic as opposed to austenitic). Documentation on that alloy indicates it has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion than 304/316 and is "practically immune to chloride stress corrosion cracking." I'm hoping it's the last tank I'll have to install before the house becomes someone else's problem.

What I'm hoping to get is some feedback from either installers or homeowners who've got SS indirects, preferably the PowerStor SS with the higher grade SS. Nobody knows better whether these products live up to the expectations better than the people who install and service them.
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 90
    I installed my own Mega-Stor 40. Prior to this we had boiler tankless. I was able to get a plumber friend to purchase the unit. Since I had time to plan I went with unions and shutoffs every where needed.

I added the zone valve controller and zone valves as I had only one before the MS-40. It has been over two years now and performance is great.

The only problem was the burner technician, on annual cleaning, manually operated the DHW zone and forgot to reset it. This caused the water temperature to get over 160°.

Other than that happy with the supply of hot water we have.
  • GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290
    I was always told city water with chlorine no S/S, well ok, if you with glasslined be sure to have the anode rod checked, and either way run storage tanks to 140F and use a tempering valve to get 120 out, 120 is a breeding ground for bacteria, 140 kills bacteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY0v5YGZNpc
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    The biggest reason I like the new Bradford White units is that they have 3 / Three anode rods.... that a huge amount of anode material to protect the tank.
  • GreenGene
    If that's their reason they are smart, I've seen products that failed prior to the warranty and they went out of business.

Anyone remember Ford products? boilers, warm air, water heaters all with a 5 year warranty and pretty much all failed at 4.5 years, it was a death blow and initially took Carlin with it.
  • GreenGene
    Yeah, I remember when American-Standard came out with this new cast iron design, with the fins in the exhaust, much tighter, excellent design except one thing, the burner, they were intent on making their own....then I saw the same boiler a few years later but it was blue and called Burnham with a Beckett or Carlin, seemed to be great then years later on an install I said to the other tech "damn am I getting stronger or are these boilers getting lighter?" .......crack...........crack....crack