Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless 63-05 with one 3 inch riser on left end section

mak62
mak62 Member Posts: 11
When boiler fires water is pulled out of gauge glass level looks to be lower tha LWC probe,but boiler does not shut down on low water. My question is should the riser be on the same end section as the gauge glass and LWC

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    What does the manual recommend?
    It may require two risers.--NBC
  • mak62
    Peerless ok with one 3 inch riser
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Using both risers out of the boiler is always desirable but a single riser can be used if the I&O manual indicates it to be ok. That riser can be at either end of the boiler (again reference the manufacturer's recommendation in the manual) . How old is the boiler? Does the water in the sight glass bounce a lot? Has the boiler been properly skimmed to get the oils off of the surface of the water? If not, the steam bubbles may have some difficulty breaking the surface of the water/oil and the boiler may be pushing some water back into the returns.
  • mak62
    Boiler installed 1-1/2 years, water does bounce a few times than goes completely out of glass and stays out during firing. Skimmed many times and contractor added treatment to system, can not recall product name but water is purplish now
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited May 2016
    mak62 said:

Boiler installed 1-1/2 years, water does bounce a few times than goes completely out of glass and stays out during firing. Skimmed many times and contractor added treatment to system, can not recall product name but water is purplish now

It definitely sounds like the boiler needs a good slow skim. Are you using a skim poort that is above the water line? Draining off of the bottom is not a skim. Not sure what chemical he might have used, could be Squick?? In any case, I would drain the boiler, refill it and then do avery slow skim from the top, skim port. Let water run out of that port, no larger stream than the diameter of a pencil. It takes a few hours to do a good skim. Once done, you can add one or two Steamaster tablets to the boiler to help condition the water.
  • mak62
    I will post pics when I get back to house. Two inch mains off of header both are vented with Gorton #1 vents I believe, they run about 40'. Old two family house with system piping issues as well,you see in pics
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I think it may be wise to add the second riser to the header.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

BobC
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Manual says one 3" is good.

If you're gonna pull it all apart then do two for extra goodness
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com