Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators at an angle

cdm
cdm Member Posts: 77
This is a one pipe system - Two of my recessed radiators are tilted so that the steam input is approximately 3/4" higher than the other end of the radiator. I don't seem to have any problems with water hammer or anything else, but the top of radiators are up against the 2x4 framing in the wall. So I think its time to get these radiators back down on the floor and leveled so the drain properly. Any thoughts on an easy way to shorten the feed pipes? , or an alternative method to fix this problem?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Can you post a picture? If it's a one pipe system, the supply end should be slightly lower than the opposite end, unless there is some kind of drip on the other end. Is there any way you can raise the other end so that it is slightly higher than the supply side? That would be easiest. How much pitch do you have on the horizontal pipe in the basement that feeds that radiator? If you have enough, you may be able to just push the vertical supply pipe down into the basement by 3/4" to 1"
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2016
    How did they get this way? Floor sagged away from the opposite side or heaved under the supply side or did the piping push up the supply side?

As for an easy way to shorten the pipes..... pull them, cut them and re-thread. As for the hard part of doing this it's going to be getting those pipes loose from the fittings and valve without complications.