Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

demand hot water

Options
PrestoJim
PrestoJim Member Posts: 35
Hello everyone,
Ever since I plumbed in a hot water return line I get instant hot water but the shower seems to have hot water for less time. Occasionally hot water starts to come from the kitchen sink cold side after about the same amount of time it used to take to get hot water from the hot side.
There must be some crossover somewhere. This is a no pump loop DIY system 3/4 copper to 1/2 inch return.
Is there a super low pressure check valve I can install? Is it better to run a pump?
Thanks

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,705
    Options
    PrestoJim said:

Hello everyone,
    Ever since I plumbed in a hot water return line I get instant hot water but the shower seems to have hot water for less time. Occasionally hot water starts to come from the kitchen sink cold side after about the same amount of time it used to take to get hot water from the hot side.
    There must be some crossover somewhere. This is a no pump loop DIY system 3/4 copper to 1/2 inch return.
    Is there a super low pressure check valve I can install? Is it better to run a pump?
    Thanks

How could such a thing possibly work without a check valve?
    You're pulling water from the bottom of the heater, this is why it's getting cold.

Only low pressure check valve I could imagine is a swing type, but you'd need to mount it horizontal and I don't know if thermosiphoning is enough to open it?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/155576/hot-water-faster#latest

@JUGHNE outlines the gravity recirc system in this thread. He specifically mentions a flow check in the layout.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15