Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 and Variable Speed Circulators

GreenGene
GreenGene Member Posts: 290
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in changing out a 007 on a standard System 2000 EK1 with a Taco Viridian or Grundfos Alpha and how you set them up and what you thought.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How is the system piped? Are there zone valves?
  • GreenGene
    I'm an instructor/ contractor, but I do have one with 4 zones plus an indirect using a zv.

I'm just curious how the EK1 reacted to the change in flow as zv's open and close or just 1 is open, etc because the EK1 heats up pretty quick.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Shouldn't be a problem with a DP pump, I wouldn't use a DT pump, the flat plate is going to have high DT vs heating zones.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GreenGene
  • GreenGene
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Robert, personally I don't use the heat exchanger, I use a 1" zv and a superstor indirect, I think the plate can work great with city water but with well I go indirect.

I was wondering with the 1/2" bypass if say a small zone opened the pump would back off, this would slow flow through the bypass and block as well causing it to heat quickly, this could have a positive effect where the block wouldn't drop on the first cycle and shut off the circ while it regenerated, but it could also cause the block to hit high limit, I haven't seen one yet set up so I wanted to see if anyone has any positive or negative experiences.

I'll try to contact someone at the factory as well.
  • Robert O'Brien
    It's going to maintain a constant pressure, so it will react to the changes in restriction as valves open and close.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GreenGene
  • GreenGene
    Thanks, the factory said the same, DP.
  • GreenGene
    edited April 2016
    For DT now it depends, all 4 zones are different for load 15k - 40k, DT if memory serves runs in the 16-20 range.

Hypothetical question, still using the 007 and haven't seen a variable pump on a EK1 yet, I was wondering what people have seen and tried, what worked, etc.
  • GreenGene
    Good point though, my SS has the 1" cupro-nickel coil and would need full flow and I am 1" all the way to and back.
  • GreenGene
    I hear ya.
  • Robert O'Brien
    If you are just after the electrical savings you can run the pump on a constant speed and use 1/2 the wattage as a standard pump. Taco is coming out with a ECM 007 very shortly.
    EricAune
  • GreenGene
    Thanks