Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help For Flint

4Johnpipe
4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
Not sure if this was mentioned or how it's possible...Would it make sense to start some type of charity / fund drive for the folks in Flint? I know the local union and non Union plumbers are scrambling to get filters in place. I relatively certain that this cost is coming out of pocket to all involved.
Perhaps the contractors on this site under the guidance of Erin could start a donation drive?
I can spare a few dollars at this time...
LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
732-751-1560
email: langansph@yahoo.com
www.langansplumbing.com

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What kind of 'filters' are being proposed/installed? RO for everyone may be good for the manufacturers, but what represents the best cost/benefit for both end users and the water system?

ISTR reading about a specialized activated carbon with a high lead affinity a few years back? This looks close, but I'm not sure that was the specific product.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Filters are not the answer. The supply pipe to the clean water supply is. If the government used the Army Corp of Engineers, it would be done already.
    SWEI
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I thought lead couldn't be removed with typical filters if it's dissolved in the water?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Typical filters have zero effect on anything ionic.
  • Paul48
    How has our government responded to this crisis? Did they have FEMA deliver bottled water? Can you say Katrina or Sandy...****
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    From what I've read on plumbing blogs and the limited information via the news...they are dealing with a lot of unknowns. Activities so far include some type of filtering, some amount of water supply line replacement and complete ban on water use.
    Wasn't my intent to start a debate over what they are doing as much as it was an idea to see if any type of fundraising has been or can be started. We know how swift buerocracy moves. As a member of a few plumbing brotherhoods I was simply asking in that spirit if anything is or can be done.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Paul48
    @4Johnpipe

I'm sorry John. What you are doing is noble. I just get steamed with our government, and how they respond to crisis's. I certainly wouldn't send my money to the Red Cross. Like 9/11 it would go in their general fund.
    4Johnpipe
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    It would be impossible to discuss the root cause of Flint's situation without getting very political. If anyone thinks that's an appropriate conversation to have, I suggest heading over to the "Politics of Heating" category (does plumbing count?) and starting a thread there.

In the meantime, here's a page with links to organizations helping the victims:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/how-help-flint-michigan

Donations would be put to good use by any of them.

Note that the filters predominantly being used on Flint faucets are capable of functioning effectively with lead levels up to 150 ppb. A significant number of homes have incoming water which tests far higher than that. Recently some even reached above 20,000 ppb.
    4Johnpipe
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks for the very kind suggestion, @4Johnpipe. I think the organizations that @Sal Santamaura posted would be a great place to start. Thanks, Sal!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    4Johnpipe