Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Long Island Plumbing Licensing

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Good morning.I currently have 5 plumbing licenses on Long Island because the larger districts require their own license.These include Huntington,Oyster bay,Hempstead,North Hempstead and Islip.I took my test in Oyster Bay and all the other towns would reciprocate.Exam included lead wipe and lead shower pan plus a written exam.I now have a good friend who wants an oil to gas conversion in Smithtown and called building dept to reciprocate.Now here is the problem,they told me that Huntington stopped reciprocating with Smithtown and therefore Smithtown stopped reciprocating with Huntington and all other Towns.Was told I would have to take exam.When I questioned the use of lead on the exam the silence was deafening.NYC has one License for all boroughs.@Maddog you seem to know the way around the political minefield around here got any tips.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    And I thought our licensing was messed up here. Yikes.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    There's something to be said about a state license. NY is way behind the times. WA state has 2 license levels, Residential and Journeyman. Most jurisdictions have on-line permitting. There is no lead wiping or practical required. License renewal is every 2 years and requires 16hrs of continuing education, which is also on-line.
  • jonny88
    Continual education you gotta be joking not around here.In the city yes but on the island nope .Pity.
  • MPJ347
    MPJ347 Member Posts: 19
    Hello jonny88,
    I ran into the same problem last summer. When asked why they don't reciprocate with one another, they told me that they stopped with us so we stopped with them. I said that's kinda childish do you think, there responce was "no". Freeport will reciprocate with Hempstead but does not recognize the tri town agreement, go figure. So being licensed in TOB your out of luck.
    politics, politics. The best is the Towns frown on being "covered" by another contractor (friend).
    good luck
  • jonny88
    Funny part is the inspectors are always quick to shake your hand if you know what I mean after inspection.Guess this is why we see so much work being done without a permit.Who needs to deal with the nonsense.Think I might have to look for a friend out east.Take care.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Hey Jonny: I think I told ya last time. The Nassau PHCC Was behind a MAJOR push a few years back that made some good progress toward a Countywide lic. It would behoove you to join..great organization for business acumen! Some of the members cone to our picnic..why doncha come this year and chat with everyone. Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    See thread I started on picnic. You could speak to guys who helped draft the legislative proposal. Mad Dog
  • jonny88
    Thanks I will be sure to come this year.Countywide Lic though I think I might be retired by the time these guys stop playing games.Take care.
    SWEI
  • Mad Dog_2
    I feel ya pain, bro. When I was in business it was a time eating , expensive endeavor to keep.up with all the licenses. Nassau alone has 64 towns and villages. Just when I would let a village lic. Lapse, I'd get a job there! There's another $200 check I had to add in to the job! The ONLY way it will ever change is through legislation. Perhaps will all the corrupt pols we see going down, the new office holders will be more receprice and it's a good time to push for it again. Like people that don't vote, but complain, we gotta git involved. Hope to see you and others that care at the picnic this year. Mad Dog
    jonny88
  • jonny88
    Great see you there.Thanks.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Could this sort of licensing complication be construed as a restrictive trade practice, designed to eliminate competition?
    Maybe some sort of class action suit could eventually fix it--NBC
    jonny88HatterasguyRich_49CLamb
  • SWEI
    I'm not sure if the FTC has any jurisdiction over state or county governments. For the most part, Albany operates in a kind of alternate reality field -- though it will respond to constituents if enough of them get angry.
    Hatterasguy
  • jonny88
    Exactly as stated by building dept in Smithtown when the other towns stopped reciprocating with us we did not want their plumbers working in our Town so we stopped reciprocating with them.Very petty.I understand that they are trying to protect their own but surely a state lic or equivalent would make it fair for everyone.Remember NYC has 1 lic for all boroughs and their standards are much higher than you see on the Island.In my experience if a contractor is not pulling a permit he will do his own plumbing to especially now with pex it made it a lot easier for them.Homeowner gets it in the end.
  • jonny88
    @Swei would a Long Island picnic be an appropriate place to get angry if all the great minds are there.
  • SWEI
    A number of states have dropped county-based licensing in favor of statewide licensing over the past few years. Requiring dozens of licenses in a single county is frankly nuts. Given the differences in density and construction styles, I can actually see how NYC justifies local control, but the villages? Riiiiiiighhhhht.

I suspect if the contractors, wholesalers, and perhaps a couple of homeowner/consumer groups could get their heads together and present a unified front to a handful of state legislators, you might have shot at fixing it.
  • SWEI
    Does each of these villages have its own mechanical and plumbing codes? Do they each have their own inspector tests as well as contractor tests?
    CLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Correct, Jonny...the picnic is a time for unwinding and having nice, civil discussions...guys talking shop and issues over a beer. As I mentioned earlier, The PHCC has lead the political fight in the past, has the best contacts, and guys who are in the same boat. They have monthly meetings that have grown so large, that they now hold them at The Holiday Inn in Plainview. Some members also attend the picnic.
    Mad Dog
    jonny88
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
    Anyone know what Islip is doing for a practical exam these days?