Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mike Rowe's "Hot Under the Blue Collar" Webisodes

Options
Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
I just learned about this video series during Comfortech 365. It was created to dispel myths about the skilled trades industry and jobs within it. You can check them out here.
President
HeatingHelp.com
kcopp4JohnpipeEricAune

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Good stuff, Erin. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    When it comes time to meet my maker....I hope, folks can say I was a good man. Mike Rowe is a good man.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was talking to a contractor last week about doing some overdue work on my palace. He asked what I did before retiring and I explained I was an engineer for years until my companies product pretty much got shipped to China. I then went into the post office and fixed the mail sorting machines because i knew they couldn't ship those jobs to China.

Working the trades is a good career path for a lot of people, you might not get rich but you will eat and keep a roof over your heads.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    CLamb
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I did a career day at my daughters HS last week. It gave me a chance to make a pitch for a few good young minds.
    I had a few guys that were considering it and I did make a pitch that its not a male only trade.
    No college experience needed although it wouldn't hurt.
    No tens or Hundreds of thousands of college debt!!!!
    Variety of jobs.
    Your job cant be outsourced.
    New and exciting technology....

I have a degree in teaching biology.
    Couldn't find a job out of college.
    27 years later here I am...
    As my grandfather said..."you could do worse !"
    SWEICLamb
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Great points, well made.

My grandfather used to say, “Kid, this is the best business to be in because people are always going to need heat, especially in the winter.”
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    One of the most important points is the repair and installation of systems can't be offshored. You have to stay up to date but you will always have work.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    My dad always said, "Know how to drive a truck and know how to be a bartender", those jobs will always be available.
    I can't stand drinking, so wouldn't be a good bartender, but I have been a truck driver. So, at least I have a fallback if something happens to keep me from this trade. lol
    However, I here truck drivers are in hot demand right now and a lot of the immigrant are taking on these jobs. Wonder what they pay? Better on the body, but not as fun.
    Rick