Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator expansion noise after valve replacement

JodiMe
JodiMe Member Posts: 69
edited April 2016 in Strictly Steam
We bought the house last summer and had some issues with hammer that have since been fixed (culprit: dirty boiler water). We also had some leaky valves that were replaced. Prior to replacement, the radiators didn't make much noise when heating. Since replacement, they make quite a bit of noise. It doesn't really bother me a whole lot...I'm more curious about it than anything. All those that make noise are the recessed convector style radiators. If that makes a difference... We have one additional recessed one upstairs which did not have a replaced valve and makes no noise at all.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    What sort of valves did you replace, inlet?--NBC
  • JodiMe
    Hm. I'm not sure what you mean. The main supply valves leading to the radiator were replaced on all our radiators downstairs. Every one was either actively leaking or showed evidence of previous leaks.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    They are certainly easier to repair than to replace, because of the need to replace the mating spud as well, which comes with the new shutoff valve. The old spud and new valve may leak, as they are a matched and machined pair.
    Generally, the valves only leak through the packing nut, under the handle, and usually that nut can be tightened down to compress the packing within. That is a lot easier to do than replace the whole valve.--NBC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I assume this is not a bang but more of a loud ticking noise caused by expansion of the hot pipe? When they replaced the steam valve they may have done something that has the pipe hard against the opening it comes through. Try cutting up a milk jug and work that between the pipe and the edge of those holes.

What kind of air valves do those convectors have? Venting them too fast can cause problems.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JodiMe
    You are correct about the noise. Ticking, not banging. I'll try the milk jug thing this weekend! Thanks.

The vents are maid-o-mists and of course differ in number depending on the size and location of the radiator. I think we've got a mix of 4s and 5s.
  • JodiMe
    Nicholas...they tried repairing hem first but they still leaked. They were in pretty bad shape, to be honest.