Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tigerloop

5cott1981
5cott1981 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Oil Heating
Hi all, I come here in need of some help. Recently moved to an older house in the country, now we have heating oil boiler etc. The problem is there is a great big dirty steel oil tank in the middle of the garden that is built up on bricks 3ft off the ground am guessing due to the pump being feed by gravity. I have bought a new bunded oil tank and I would like to place it at the side of my garden at ground level out the way and not sticking out like a sore thumb!. This would make the bottom of the tank roughly 1 to 1 1/2ft blow the boiler/pump in the garage. I really don't want to build the tank up on some kind of platform and was wondering if a tiger loop would cure my problem of getting oil to the pump when the level is low in my tank due to it being below the pump level.
At the moment it's a single line from tank to pump through a single filter, no return lines. Am guessing my pump is gravity feed and can't sook. The pump is a danfoss BFP 21L3
I understand a little how the loop works but taking returns from the pump back to the tiger loop and reusing it etc with no need for a return to tank, but I don't understand how a tiger loop can help deliver oil when the tank is below the pump level. Does the pump have to be a suction pump for a tiger loop to work??
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Scott

Comments

• 5cott1981
    5cott1981 Member Posts: 2

5cott1981 said:

This would make the bottom of the tank roughly 1 to 1 1/2ft blow the boiler/pump in the garage.

The pump will have no issue to lift the oil 1.5 feet. It most likely will not require a tiger loop, however, any fittings utilized are critical when a slight vacuum is required.
    Thanks for this, I'll run the new pipe and see how it go's .!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    All flare fittings for copper, no Teflon tape...
    steve