Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Cartridge Circulator Pump Mod. 007-f3

ppllgg
ppllgg Member Posts: 69
I'm in the process of replacing the flange gaskets on both sides of this circutator pump.There leaking ( a sm. amount) I have a set of the (blk. rubber O ring seals) To replace the existing Flat (orange) 3 hole flange gaskets that are presently there. But my question is that I notice that the (4) Throu- bolts that clamp the flange(s) together, The bolts tighten too an inward angle ..... Because the flange on the pump (where the bolt(s) go thru is on a angle In relation to the other flange surface(s) on the water line side, Which are Flat & parallel like all the rest of them except for the top of the flange on the pump housing.
S0, What I'm trying to describe is that the bolt clamping is all parallel (Pipe flange to gasket face) then to the gasket face to the pump are all parallel, But when the bolt exist the pump flange (this surface is not(Flat & parallel ,its tapered, about 20 deg's ( it gets thinner as it goes to the outside edge. Which then causes the bolt to tilt inward when tightened. They look to me to be all the original pump pieces ( but it may not be, from the last replacement??) I was thinking of grinding this (one) surface flat ( so that all the bolts go Straight Thro & tighten without any bolt ~ tilting . Whats Your Thoughts....OR.... am I Missing something An just Assemble to it current configuration Because that's the way " IT's Originally made & is spouse to have this (tilting bolts set up) The way it is NOW. They Tilt inward about 20 deg's ( making contact w/inner & outer edges of the bolt head & nut (respectively)
Regards,
FRANK

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    It could be that the holes in the pipe flange are not exactly the same as the bolt spacing on the pump body? that would cause them to cock in or out. got a pic?
    Are the flanges the same color as the pump. usually Taco flanges and pumps are green.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ppllgg
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Here's my old 008 f2, is this what you describe?
    ppllgg
  • hot_rod
    It looks like the bolt was a bit too long, hit the pump and maybe cocked it.

Many of the new circulators have re designed bolt slots, most with a recess to captivate the nut so you do not need a wrench to hold the nut.

Grundfos Alpha is one example, shown here.

I'm not sure what the red material is, the black gaskets are usually EPDM. Or use the ring gasket supplied with the pump in the box.

If you can use a pump with this flange position it is easier access to the bolts when they are not over the motor.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ppllgg
  • ppllgg
    Hay, Guy's Here it is...& both pump flanges have that radius.along it's top side (where the head of bolt/nut rest on.) The middle of the flange is 1/2" & tapers down to a 1/4" to the outside edge . (where I'm point'n in the 1st pic.
  • ppllgg
    THANKS ~ HOTROD & LEON 82... I hope my Pic.'s help Hot rod (there both Blk)
  • Leon82
    The casting is angled, not much you can do. Tighten them evenly each side a little at a time
    ppllgg
  • hot_rod
    and don't over-tighten them, that can lead to that splayed look :)

With new gaskets, no need to crank down on the bolts. When the gaskets harden, or you use thin flat style then you may need a bit more torque.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ppllgg
  • ppllgg
    Leon, Do you think if I ground them a little bit to make them flat, on that high edge ~ 1/8"that It would clamp better & stay tigther longer... ( I thinking that's why they are prone to leak) It can hurt, No...
  • Leon82
    I suppose you could. I'd rather grind a washer. But this design has worked for years.
  • ppllgg
    THANK ~ YOU ~ Leon82 & Hot rod Your Help is Very Much Appreciated !!! AWESOME Advice !!
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How old is the circulator? They're not expensive...
  • ppllgg
    Great Idea ! Leon 82 :) I'm going to do that...(With that being flat on that side it would then match the other side & the bolt would be back to "straight". :) Excellent Idea w/washer !
    Frank
  • ppllgg
    Well Gentlemen It's IN, It took a bit of scrapping & wirebrush'n & it cleaned up "NICE" Then I gave it 2 coats of grill paint.. (Since it's pretty old & prob. should of been replaced, I took the chance & ground that top of the flange faces flat. I kept running water thru it till the bubbles stopped (about 30 gal.'s worth) & it's holding 30 PSI & the floor is DRY !
    Much THANKS TO YOU LEON 82 & HOT ROD!!
    I'm hoping it will last a bit...
    Regards,
    Frank
  • ppllgg
    It's hold'n 23 PSI not 30 !!! I hear that would pop off the pressure relief valve...:)
  • Leon82
    Cool.

they are 007 f5 now.

I wasn't going to say grind it. You never know how thick or if there would be porosity in the casting.
  • ppllgg
    YES, Totally Agree w/you Leon.....The O ring side was in poor shape ...porosity & corrosion.One of the reasons I put a couple of coats a paint on it after I cleaned it, So I took the chance on the other side w/ the grinding(Yes, Luckily I didn't find any voids there also, Just i a little thinner now. If I get another year out of it I'll be :smile: THEN just put in New one.
    Leon 82 Your Knowledge " IS " Greatly Appreciated ! YES
    Frank
    I'm putting in a Lynn #1064 combustion chamber kit Wed.
    I haven't had heat now for 4 days ...( I worked on that pump in the meantime while wait'n for that kit to GET here !!
    Luckily it hasn't been REALLY cold !! YES
    Please keep I eye out for me ..THANKS in advance.
    Regards,
    FRANK :smiley:

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    you WAY over tightened it. The two flanges should never come close to touching each other.
    bob
    ppllgg
  • ppllgg
    Thank You Bob & Hatterasguy For your Welcome Comments, I'm Thinking/ Hoping what we have here is that when I cleaned the mating surfaces. The o ring grove was the very bad shape (corrosion/pitting) so it grew a bit in size, hense the o ring had a bit More room to expand ( laterally ), Which lead to the flanges being closer together.
    Frank