Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pump vs stand alone AC unit

Options
Looking to add AC to our main living floor. The upstairs has a heat pump with ducts and the basement has a heat pump unit on the wall, nothing for the living floor. Both of those are connected to a single outdoor unit. Due to the type of Windows (crank out) we cannot use a window box unit to sipplement. Which would be more efficient in operation (I know the Heat pump route would be about $800 more for install) : another heat pump at 12k btu vs stand alone AC 12k btu we can rig to go out the window? Would I ever recoup those install costs if the heat pump is truely more efficient? I also got a quote to move the basement 9k btu heat pump to living area for a grand which seemed high but also an option and slightly under powered for the space.

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you looking at ductless splits?
    What do you have for heat now on the first floor?
  • donedeal
    donedeal Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Heat is all hydroponic radiant throughout. The pump would not be needed for heat. I have a Daiken unit in the basement I could have installed upstairs.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can't see it being that much of an upgrade for a heat pump ductless do to most mini split manufacturers are stopping making the AC only units and are making everything heatpumps.

Having back up heat is never a bad idea.