Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vintage Junkers demand water heater free to good home

Is there a slightly foolish Wallie out there who would like to add a fine old Junkers natural gas standing pilot demand water heater to their museum/collection? I got it at a flea market in the early 1980's, made a new diaphragm for it out of sheet neoprene, and provided hot water to three apartments for 10 years, with judicious scheduling of showers....
That didn't really make sense, but it worked for us at the time, and was working fine when I took it out of service fifteen years ago for the first of a string of traditional gas fired water heaters - now I need to make room for an indirect [finally!] and I can't quite bear to scrap this beautiful piece of obsolete high-tech. Porcelain on steel enclosure and hood, body about 32" h x 15" w x 9" deep, probably 40 pounds or so. Located in Providence, RI - it'd be a pain to crate it ....

Vbob

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Well it's got the right name, at least in the English pronunciation
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    Hear him rohr...
    It's not junk, though I must admit it might be scrap.

Vbob
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    It looks like the predecessor to the Paloma brand, actually a good, troublefree, long lasting product. As yours would indicate.

Didn't Junkers make some of the best aircraft during WW2?
    I built a model of a Junkers Ju-88 when I was young, still remember that name and number.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello: Junkers made both water heaters and planes! We hope their heaters didn't fly much. It's in German, but this link has some nice old photos. http://www.junkers.com/ueber_junkers/unternehmen/geschichte_mit_bildern/historie

Yours, Larry
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    Well, I finally scrapped the poor old Junkers, having waited patiently until the metal prices dropped so much it really hurt... then I found this picture - clearly my marketing wasn't up to par!