Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this thing?

Options
wayngrove
wayngrove Member Posts: 16
edited February 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all. I'm new here, and for purposes of full disclosure, I probably (hopefully) won't have another post after this one. I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

I'm in the process of fixing up my house to put it on the market, and one of the many things I want to do is replace the baseboard covers for my hot water (oil) heating system. I'm your typical "Jack of all trades, master of none," so I'm short on names and lingo when it comes to HVAC. I have many options for new covers for most of my house, but I'm perplexed as to the name of this type of heater that's in my kitchen. All google searches have left me frustrated, bringing me results nowhere near what this is. My 3 questions are:

1. What would I call this?
2. Where can find a cover for this?
3. Is this thing too old, beat up or inefficient to the point that I should replace it with something more efficient?

It seems to work normally. I was planning on making a cover, but I can't imagine a plywood box would refract heat well. I also couldn't figure out if this question should go in Domestic Hot Water, Oil Heating or Plumbing, so I went right for the main wall.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Those are Hot water convectors.
    You best bet is to clean up what you have and reinstall.
    The fins need to be straightened out and dust blown out.
    wayngroveIronman
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    That there is a recessed wall convector. They have always been recessed in the wall.... at least all of the one's I've seen.... Your missing the covers.. back and front.

That fin is suppose to be sitting in brackets that are attached to the back cover. The back cover also has brackets on either end (left and right side in the middle) that the front cover either snaps into or gets screwed into depending on the model.

I have never seen them sold anymore. They work great. You could replace it with modern fin, but I really dislike mixing different heat emitters on the same zone. If you do, it will take probably 3X more baseboard (linear foot) to equal the heat output of that convector and you have to put a baseboard tee and vent to bleed it. Really not a fan of modern fin baseboard on a monoflow/venturi system either... which is what you most likely have.

If you knew what the metal cover looks like, you could probably get close to the same idea with wood.

some google pictures for your viewing pleasure:

http://s587.photobucket.com/user/bryankloos/media/Hydronic Heat/IMG_2338-1.jpg.html

http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/nathanbedford00/media/Boiler/_MG_9380.jpg.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=wall+convector&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=815&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE4p2-qIfLAhXHdx4KHTBIBE8Q_AUIBygC&dpr=1#imgrc=_
    Tinmanwayngrove
  • wayngrove
    Options
    Thank you Eric! That is exactly what I needed. I did see one similar to the 1st link, but I thought it had to be different, since that one was inside the wall. I really didn't want to replace it if I didn't have to. Now I can start cleaning it up and look for either a custom cover or making one myself.

Thanks again!
  • deadmansghost
    deadmansghost Member Posts: 32
    Options
    That convector needs to be reinstalled level
    wayngrove
  • wayngrove
    Options
    Thanks ghost. I was wondering that as well. I'm thinking it was pushed down by the previous owners' kids and/or my kids standing on it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Pitch everything upward to the air bleeder ..... Even the pipes or what is called the risers .. Look around you can still buy them but if I was asked to replace I would be recommending panel radiators ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    wayngrove