Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any issues with a boiler that's always on and a zone that doesn't shut down?

Options
sanjayp
sanjayp Member Posts: 19
edited February 2016 in Gas Heating
Hopefully not a stupid question.... I have a a couple of zones (hot water) in my house that are basically continuously calling for heat. Issue is I have a drafty old house which in due time I will insulate, replace windows, etc. But for now, let's say it leaks. With ODR limiting the temps, the rooms never reach a toasty temperature (say 75). This is not a problem in my mind. 68/70 is pretty comfy but the family will still crank up the stats. So what that means is that the zones always run, boiler simply stays on never shuts own. My heating bill are not outlandish despite this. Is this something bad? I'm more used to forced air systems which constantly cycle on and off.

One more point.. if I lower the thermostats to say 68/70 closer to the achievable temperature, then the zone will cycle every 7 minutes or so. This seems like a short cycling situation. So my thought better to keep the set temp high and the zone on as opposed to too much cycling.

Comments

• sanjayp
    sanjayp Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Well who would have thought! My inefficient house has some benefits Ha! We originally thought the heating system was a problem because the temps couldn't be set to a desired temp. But then I realized that the ODR was actually my secret weapon to make sure the heating wasn't running too high. My answer to the family.. put some socks on, throw on a robe!. 68 is perfectly fine!

Point taken on the ramp up time. I noticed, it does take a while to heat this baby up.

Thanks hatterasguy!