Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Carrier cooler

Options
Just saw this on ebay and was wondering how it worked and if it's really that expensive to run. I just thought it was cool, so I'm curious.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Carrier-Water-Cooled-Air-Conditioner-orignal-finish-working-/291664448759?hash=item43e88e4cf7:g:zkQAAOSw~otWdz3T
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Most (many?) homes in Chicago used to billed a flat monthly rate for water. No meter. These would literally run water constantly thru a coil. Water temp supplied by city in the summer would be in the 50s?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Does this use water to cool the air, or is it an air conditioner with a water cooled condenser?

Pre-monitor top refrigerators from GE used a water cooled condenser in the 1920s but they decided that would never work in a residential use so they built a convection type condenser.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    There was a similar AC like this in our old movie theater. It was a water cooled condenser, contained R-12 Freon, and ran on 3 phase power. May have been rated at 5 tons of cooling. Was a late 1950's or so model.

We had to crank the volume of the picture show as the AC set up at the screen. Would give you a brain freeze if you set near the front.........this is what sold movie tickets in the 50's......."Cool Inside" was on the Marquee.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Those were all over the place in the 50s and 60s. They just had water cooled condensers. Can't believe he thinks someone will pay $5K for that. Probably buy a new one for not that much more. Still common ducted these days in high rise buildings. 1 per floor with VAV boxes, condenser water through a cooling tower.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Vacporvac, 5K would probably buy a multi-mini-split heat pump with maybe 3 heads inside. It would be great heating for shoulder seasons where you didn't quite need the steam, and very efficient down to 25-30 OAT. Very good AC cooling with great dehumidification.

But doesn't always blend in with the CI radiator décor era.
    But then neither does a flat screen TV and just about everyone has one of them. ;)
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I don't know what you mean. My 50" plasma and multiple lcd tv's blend right in with my radiators.

Cast iron radiators go with any decor.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    In the eyes of the beholders.....not every décor goes with the CI radiators. ;)

There is a house near my area that had 1 pipe steam. The new owners had forced air (AC & heat) installed. But the wife kept the radiators in the rooms because she liked the look. Boiler & piping probably gone.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

There is a house near my area that had 1 pipe steam. The new owners had forced air (AC & heat) installed. But the wife kept the radiators in the rooms because she liked the look. Boiler & piping probably gone.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

JUGHNE said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Just as much sense as the people that actually pay someone for a broken monitor top that has a mini fridge setup bolted on the back and underneath.

But people do it.