Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HSI issue....

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
Any ideas of what would cause a 15 yr old power vent Smith boiler to go through 3 Hot surface igniters in 2 1/2 months?
It is in an outdoor closet.
It may be a little on the damp side.
It is only used for heat. Sits idle in the summer.
ty

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Does this unit have the heat shield over the top of the ignitor?
  • kcopp
    I am looking at this in the morning... I will check. ty
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Short cycling, delayed ignition, over-firing, high voltage, contaminants.
    Steve Minnich
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    What else changed in the last 2.5 months?
  • kcopp
    edited January 2016
    Well after looking at the set up its no wonder this thing is melting wires to the HSI.
    Boiler temp for this baseboard system was running around 210-220F
  • unclejohn
    Why are there two stacks through the roof. Is there another appliance in the room, water heater maybe.
  • kcopp
    edited January 2016
    Its another boiler on the other side for the other unit. They share an outdoor closet. Boiler is sitting directly on the ground.
    Ridden hard and put away wet.....
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    That gas line is in bad shape,just pointing out the obvious.Amazing what you see out there.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Rotted out flue doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either. Have you put a CA on it yet?
  • kcopp
    edited January 2016
    They shovel snow up against the walls and doors. It melts and the water runs under the door and makes for a damp boiler room... then it sits idle all summer. Did I mention it has glycol in it from 2002, unchecked... :#
  • kcopp
    SWEI said:

Rotted out flue doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either. Have you put a CA on it yet?

I had a conversation w/ the property manager... I am trying to run away from this one.
  • SWEI
    What are those plastic grilles mounted to the eave for? I hope they're gozoutas and not gozintos.
  • kcopp
    bathroom exhaust vents...
  • SWEI
    kcopp said:

SWEI said:

I had a conversation w/ the property manager... I am trying to run away from this one.
    CYA -- certified letter time?
    jonny88
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Looks like they are starving for combustion air...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • kcopp
    4Johnpipe said:

Looks like they are starving for combustion air...

I wholeheartedly agree. There are so many issues that were done wrong from the get go. Unfortunately that will cost a bunch of money to fix. They don't want to spend the money.
  • unclejohn
    Is the other boiler in the next room fan assisted as well. I wonder if its somehow pulling flue gas inti it. Those water piped look bad.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have visited a few situations like this concerning either potential CO, possible but not proved at the moment, dangers or electrical conditions and it was obvious the owner (usually landlord) was not going to improve either. I would verbally voice my opinions to those living there. And make a point to not bill for the call. There was no proof that I was ever there.

A very real threat would make me call the utility concerned and I have shut off gas and told them someone else would have to turn it back on, but I would not, they have to get a second opinion. I am in a very rural area, very different from city situations.

Look at the positive side with the external boiler rooms; less chance of CO dangers for the tenants. (No, this would be one that I never saw ie. no paper trail)
  • kcopp
    All good points.
    I have a long email into the property manger expressing all the issues.
    I also had a conversation w/ her on Friday.
    There was another service company there last week and they brought up the combustion air issue.