Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Filter placement and Oil Safety Valve

Jack M
Jack M Member Posts: 228
edited January 2016 in Oil Heating
Where does the filter belong? I've seen the filter installed before the OSV where supposedly it keeps the valve as clean as possible to keep it functioning as it should. I have also seen the filter installed after the OSV supposedly to prevent problem with maintaining vacuum. Should there ever be a filter after an OSV to prevent a loss if the filter failed or someone forgot to install the gasket correctly? And what is the story with the Suntec PRV-38P where the filter is integrated in the OSV (where is OSV in relation to the filter in this Suntec scenario)? I'm having the canister filter switched over the a spin-on and thought this the best time to consider an OSV on this gravity feed burner (The 3/8" copper line is shielded/coated). I'm still on the fence with the OSV but I thought I would ask.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    edited January 2016
    It seems counterintuitive but the valve goes after the filter leaving the filter unprotected

http://www.websterfuelpumps.com/pdffiles/osv1.pdf
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    OSV always after the filter. This will also help to keep the crud out that will cause these to fail, mostly in the open position rendering them useless at that point. Use at least a General or Garber. No Fulflo or poor filtration device
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Also, Garbers don't like OSV's before them. They will always get air
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited January 2016
    I believe the original purpose of the OSV is really to prevent a disaster if the pump seal blows. Aren't they supposed to be mounted at the burner if the tank is 3-5 feet above or more?

Memory loss...

Edit, thanks to Bob's link, I'm re-edjumacated.
  • Jack M
    Bob, that is a helpful link. Any ideas on the integrated Suntec PRV-38P? where the filter is integrated in the OSV?
    On the Suntec does the fuel flow through the filter portion first and then the OSV?

sse.JPG 22.9K
  • Jack M
    Ok, I see it now. The fuel passes through the filter first.