Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard bang

dont
dont Member Posts: 2
hot water baseboard system ,3 zone valves on return side, upstairs zone convectors bounce sometimes violently when heat called for . notice the manifold plumbed with this zone straight in line with circ. pump other zones branched out. incorrect layout? something to do with zone valve open or closed when pump comes on?

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    What has changed with the sysyem if anything? Or are you saying it just appeared out on nowhere?

What's the max temp and system pressure? And secondly, are you positive with those answers or just reading what the boiler is telling you?

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • dont
    dont Member Posts: 2
    thanks for responding, been in house for 20 years,intermittent noise in system but this season it has gotten worse. have shimmed pipes ,and put brackets on thru the years. boiler is set at 180 , runs around 15 lbs. a burner tech when I first moved in looked at the manifold and commented on the straight run from circ. pump to that zone being wrong, something about the pressure / zone valve influence.
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    Have you check your expansion? If full that zone could be acting as the tank.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Pics always help. Post some please
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    That's a tough one, you're thinking it's the convectors or can the building possibly have settled and a hot pipe is being squeezed?

I'm wondering if you drop temp to 160 and see what happens?

Can the convectors be catching a draft making them extra cold, making the noise issue?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would also make sure the zone valve was not installed backwards, and even a power head with an end switch problem could cause that hammer